Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Relic helmet - recent acquisition

Article about: here's one for you gents, fresh from Europe. A decnt relic. Does it appear to have the KM grey repainted over the xterior, in one photo you can see the green paint underneath, and the interi

Default Re: Relic helmet - recent acquisition

Hi Allan,

I agree with Sebastien and Gunny on the protection and preservation methods they state - nothing more, nothing less.

I also agree with Schwerpunkt ( he may be surprised ) but asking us to 'enjoy' tiny photos with ( in my case ) aging eyes is no fun. Even phone photos can be enlarged with photoshop or a similar program.

All I can add is that the liner band has already been cleaned and the rivets removed and replaced ( they are clean ) so the rest should be also.
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic helmet - recent acquisition
    P
    Many

I was going to say something this morning but didn't for the fear of being shot on site......but to me looks like a repro been painted stuck in the ground then dug back up then liner Band added,only my two pence worth.....regards Dave.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    I was going to say something this morning but didn't for the fear of being shot on site......but to me looks like a repro been painted stuck in the ground then dug back up then liner Band added,only my two pence worth.....regards Dave.
    Had the very same thoughts myself !! The rust looks very recent to me.

What would this relic be worth however ???

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Had the very same thoughts myself !! The rust looks very recent to me.

What would this relic be worth however ???
    A lot of work for a relic that would only pull around $200 in today's climate........... but relic faking does happen ( and that worries me more than normal faking )
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I guess where the helmet may originate from, $200 is a fair amount of cash !

the tri color is painted on....

?

The liner band has definately been out and I'm not sure its original to the helmet anyway, the liner pins have either been cleaned or they are replacements, and i would lean towards replacements as trying to remove rusted pins, clean them , then replace them, without damage is a very dodgy practise, but to me the pins look like they have'nt been rebent so replacements take the lead imo

This may be stating the bleeding obvious, but the liner band is probably too big for the helmet, thats why its squashed in !

I'd pass.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi totenhead
    your gunna love this..........and probably like me, you wont know whether to laugh or cry or fall off my chair. The seller was adamant it was original, so in the photos he cleaned the band (fairly easy because its aluminium), then he stuck a bloody great screwdriver into it to bend the liner, just to photograph the makers name and date on the band to show it!!!!!! Luckily there is plenty of solid rust holding it onto the helmet. least i can see the makers name and date of 1938.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast