Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Relic helmet - recent acquisition

Article about: here's one for you gents, fresh from Europe. A decnt relic. Does it appear to have the KM grey repainted over the xterior, in one photo you can see the green paint underneath, and the interi

Default Re: Relic helmet - recent acquisition

Allan, Some sharp photos ( especially of the decals ) will settle a lot of the questions / comments / doubts that have been posted so far.
    Cheers, Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

from the images to me it look like the try color has been painted on and there two different colors on the helmet a green on the inside and a gray green or blue on the out side but the green has showen up under the grey green on the out side too. if this was a reissie helmet why was the try color shield be put back on maybe this was a easy to spot tampered with helmet before it was made into a relic

The colour of the dust does look fresh, as to the question if it's real or a weathered repro it's hard to say without better photos, but that helmet has been exposed to the elements for quite a while.
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Maybe its been through an oxalic bath already? That might explain the fresh rust if it wasn't dried off quickly and completely straight after the neutralizing bath.

Quote by allan View Post
    Hi totenhead
    your gunna love this..........and probably like me, you wont know whether to laugh or cry or fall off my chair. The seller was adamant it was original, so in the photos he cleaned the band (fairly easy because its aluminium), then he stuck a bloody great screwdriver into it to bend the liner, just to photograph the makers name and date on the band to show it!!!!!! Luckily there is plenty of solid rust holding it onto the helmet. least i can see the makers name and date of 1938.
    Oh dear !! ... maybe if the owner was daft enough to do that to the liner band, perhaps he/she thought nothing of trying to spice the helm up by re-painting the decals ! Have you bought it Allan or are you still in the process of??

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Maybe its been through an oxalic bath already? That might explain the fresh rust if it wasn't dried off quickly and completely straight after the neutralizing bath.
    I think you are right to be honest. Its been cleaned in oxalic and then rinsed in water and its been left to rust afterwards'
    Whoever did it thought it wise to paint the decals back on or try and touch the remnants up by hand with paint
    Its a really bad attempt at restoration I feel now

I agree with you...that was my first thought when I saw the orange rust the way it covers the helmet....
    cheers, Glenn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123