Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Article about: Hi All, This M35 helmet (size 64) was found just a couple weeks ago, during excavations in Smolensk. Some early fierce battles (The Battle of Smolenks of the summer/fall of 1941, etc.) took

?

THX - my opinion differs, but I'm glad I read yours.
    Cheers,
    Fabe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)
    P
    Many

FNG
    ?

Heres is one with originial writing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)   Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)  

FNG
    ?

your welcome my friend

?

Quote by FNG View Post
    Heres is one with originial writing
    Lots of dry rust, it looks like as if it was found in cold dry field - see the freeze crack inside the dome. Wet ground (swamps) preserve the paint - since there is no oxygen - which is essential for rusting. This helmet is way worse shape than the already mentioned helmet.
    At areas like the former Leningrad and Smolensk, all found helmets usually are in fairly good shape, most of the time even the leather liner is intact (and stayed soft). But for expl. in the Stalingrad region, the helmets are usually a lot rustier, lots of freeze cracks, etc.
    These 2 helmets (the field painted ones) were dug out 3 weeks ago.

?

I recommend these videos of the crew @ work - check out the end of the second video, the shape of the 2 found helmets in the swamp. No rust at all. Some paint bubbling...

YouTube

YouTube

FNG
    ?

Yes I'll definitely check it out for sure thank you so much for posting that

You can never be completely sure with ground dug helmets, and I would not pay a higher price just for it to be named, but that aside they are still nice helmets, though I might add a shot of my named M40 semi-relic in aswell just for reference, that one is original for sure as I dug the name and paintwork out of post war paint. Though the paint on mine is in worse condition than on the helmets posted by the OP.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)  

?

I agree - and that's just it; the price was the same as any other dug up helmets from that area (10 of these were found in a same dug-out hole), why fake it, then don't raise the price? I paid 380 USD for BOTH helmets and that including shipping.

?

Another named helmet from the same guys - this one from Volgograd (Stalingrad):
    Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Our best guess was "Wormann" - only one Wormann on the official list of deceased / MIA list that served in Stalingrad:

Wilhelm Wormann - born 09.07.1912
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 01.01.1943
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Stadt Stalingrad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast