Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Article about: Hi All, This M35 helmet (size 64) was found just a couple weeks ago, during excavations in Smolensk. Some early fierce battles (The Battle of Smolenks of the summer/fall of 1941, etc.) took

?

Default Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Hi All,

This M35 helmet (size 64) was found just a couple weeks ago, during excavations in Smolensk. Some early fierce battles (The Battle of Smolenks of the summer/fall of 1941, etc.) took place in that region during the early phase of Operation Barbarossa.
    The helmet is named: "Braunschweiger 05565D"
    Can anybody help me find a bit more info of the owner, someone who's efficient with data bases?

Thanks in advance!

Fabe

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)
    P
    Many

?

Hello Fabe,
    Nice helmet!
    I think 05565D is the Feldpostnummber. I can't find his exact number but for 05565 I found this:

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Stab I u. 1.-4. Kompanie
    Infanterie-Regiment 251,
    (1.8.1943-23.3.1944) 25.11.1943 gestrichen,
    (24.3.1944-6.11.1944) 29.9.1944 SS-Gebirgs-Veterinär-Kompanie 500.

Regards, Rik

There are 12 casualties named Braunschweiger on the VDK database, but none fit in with the timeframe of this owners helmet. Nice find.

Rick is correct regarding the feldpostnummer, the D representing the 4th Kompanie.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 05-06-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Hi Fabe,

Nice find.

Did you dig this one yourself?

Andrew

?

Hi Andy, Thanks!
    No, I live in Europe (Hungary), this one from a friend, who got it from a Russian dealer.
    10 of these helmets were found in the same place - I got the 2 best looking one ( I think ). I'll show more pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

- Fabe

Hi Fabe,

Interesting to see the the original paint poking through the brush applied over paint.

I think this one will display very nicely with your lighting setup!

I find relic helmets very interesting especially when they are in a time capsule condition like this.

I only have one named helmet but hope to collect more. The chance to learn a little bit more of the helmets history and former owner is very exciting!

Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Actually, there may be three coats on it.

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)  

?

Yes, I think the bottom original factory paint was apple-green.(?) You can see some of it around the decals on the photos in my next post.

?

Here is my second helmet - also a 64 size - from the same dig. The inside of the dome is not a pretty site, but at least it's an untouched liner - not much leather remaining. I think all of these helmets were found in a muddy, swampy ground, hence the good condition of them.
    However, I think the outside of the helmet more than makes of for the inside. There some camo-net hooks still attached to the helmet and both decals are in great shape still (for a relic).

I need you guys to confirm this; according to the seller, there is some saw-dust mixed into the paint on top. Is he right?
    I took some saw-dust painted helmet pics from the internet (not the same color), also will include them here.

Thanks for looking!

Fabe

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

and some on-line saw-dust camo pics:
    Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Hi Fabe,

Another interesting find

Regarding the sawdust - it’s a bit hard to tell from the images as some of the rough texture could just be down to the general deterioration of the paint although I do think that I can see some small pieces in the photos that show the lower parts of the helmet. Not much if any on the dome but this could be down to it resting on its top and the camo wearing away!? I would think if it was a camo it would be coloured accordingly.

Love the netting hooks. I saw a helmet recently where they were hooked under the liner band.

I really like this helmet.

Cheers,

Andrew

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast