Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Relic M40 Helmet.

Article about: I'm going to try and get this relic back to some sort of decent condition. Always wanted to restore a German helmet back to as near to it's younger life as possible Pictures of M40 helmet in

Quote by bsiwula1 View Post
    Excellent thread gentleman! It's good to have some laughter and goodwill here again. EVEN if at David's expense.
    Well worth every post, worth every penny !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 Helmet.
    P
    Many

Just hope the finished helmet does this thread justice.

I'm looking forward to getting the liner, then on to the chin strap..

Liner added now, although with out the pins. It does fit nicely and now I'm just waiting for the chin strap and draw string to arrive.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M40 Helmet.   Relic M40 Helmet.  

Relic M40 Helmet.   Relic M40 Helmet.  

Relic M40 Helmet.  

Not too happy with the chin strap, but it will do for now..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M40 Helmet.   Relic M40 Helmet.  

Relic M40 Helmet.  

I've been told that the helmet liner could be a Norwegian type, due to the light reddening around the sides of the liner??

I'm not really bothered as I didn't pay much for it, and it will do for now.

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I've been told that the helmet liner could be a Norwegian type, due to the light reddening around the sides of the liner??

I'm not really bothered as I didn't pay much for it, and it will do for now.
    Nope, look at the liner rivets - they are the FLAT aluminium type used by the Germans and NOT the DOMED brass ones the Norwegians put in after dying the leather.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks Dan, I wonder why the inside edges have gone brighter? May be it's just age..

Liner looks to have been treated...so where the aluminum rivets are, it looks brighter because they could not get the leather treatment into that part of the liner

This is the reply I've had chaps..

"Mate, I have repaired a few lids over the years, as I have over 30 lids, plus a few relic's in my collection, and with the leather pins I seen them in brass, and aluminium, also I have seen Norwegin liners with the same flat head pins, and my understanding that German leather liners were dyed reddish while they were still in their frame, and not removed.

Anyway I am just going on the reddish colour of the leather, but saying that I have seen some darken German leathers, but what gives me the if's is that how the rest of the leather has darken, and to me I've seen this when someone puts on leather conditioner and that gives it that oily dark colour".
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 10-10-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Is this correct?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast