Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia

Article about: Hi I got this lid which the seller said he got this size 66 M42 from Latvia and the date marker on the rivets shows 1943.It seems that there are some white and red-like paint on the inner si

Default Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia

Hi
    I got this lid which the seller said he got this size 66 M42 from Latvia and the date marker on the rivets shows 1943.It seems that there are some white and red-like paint on the inner side of the shell and liner band but not sure its camo or just kinds of rust.Any advise will be appreciated thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia   Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia  

Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia   Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic M42 with white paint from Latvia

Sometimes that people (latvia people, letland, etc....) use oxalic acid to clear the helmet and the shell take strange colours if dont take the rust good.

Hi lelechera
    Thanks for your information.

Hi
    Please advice
    Would it be batter to have sandblaster and repaint it or just keep as it stands now?
    Thanks a lot.

Cheers
    Kevin

Hi Kevin, please no sandblasting.

There is original paint there both on the outside and inside. It is Luftwaffe blue by the looks of it. What you are seeing as white paint is oxidisation from the alloy liner band.

Don't repaint this! A treatment with Oxalic acid (search the forum for details) will reveal much more original paint.

Cheers, Ade.

How did you get the rivets out of the shell? /any time i have done that to look at dates ect they have broken with being so brittle!

Please don't go removing liners: the pins will break. Guys, taking a liner out will devalue a helmet, even a relic.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Kevin,
    You have a nice relic there please do not damage it any further,
    I collect relic helmets also with other military items. A relic has a history of it,s own, even if you dont really know what it is.
    By repainting it you will take any history it has and distroy it,s former glory. I would put back the liner rim, and leave it as is,
    It is up to you, but what i do is get as much info i can on it, ie,
    the place it was found or comes from, and then put the info
    permanatly in the helmet. if ever it leaves your collection it will not be thrown out as junk as then it has some provinence.
    dave.

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    How did you get the rivets out of the shell? /any time i have done that to look at dates ect they have broken with being so brittle!
    Sorry,I don't know how to remove them either.The Rivets were removed by the previous owner(Maybe the digger),not me.Actually I would like they just keep on the band as Ade said.

Ade:Is it possible to put the rivets back?Is it too risk?I will try to get the oxalic acid and its instruction to recover the original paint.Hope it will work smoothly, thanks.

Panzer 3:Thanks for your kind reminding.I will try to get its real story from the previous owner.He proclaimed it's found in Latvia and sold it for around $70 to me.

Have a great weekend
    Kevin

Hi Kevin, the tabs may well snap off. They were not really designed for folding again and again, plus the fact they have been in the ground for 65 years will have only weakened them further. This is a risk you are going to have to think about. You could insert them but not fold them over. I think I would opt for this.

A possible alternative would be to buy some new replacements, either real or repro which are available.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast