Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rusty the German DD relic project

Article about: Hi people, Been collecting "mint" helmets for a while, but for a display setup I have in mind, I got myself a German relic I'm fairly new in the relic restauration business and bee

Default Rusty the German DD relic project

Hi people,

Been collecting "mint" helmets for a while, but for a display setup I have in mind, I got myself a German relic
    I'm fairly new in the relic restauration business and been doing quite some reading here and there on different procedures to get rusty lids in a more good-looking and stable state.
    Electrolysis, oxalic acid, etc...

But what often is missing is the preparation, how much of the "rust" is removed before and how, what about the decal remains on my new acquired German friend, do these need treatment prior to the oxalic bath?

Thanks for sharing secrets.

/Peter

Rusty the German DD relic project Rusty the German DD relic project

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rusty the German DD relic project
    P
    Many

Hey BlackBox very cool pickup! Keep us updated I’m very interested to see how this turns out.

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Hey BlackBox very cool pickup! Keep us updated I’m very interested to see how this turns out.
    Me too :-)
    As it'll be the first one. Fingers crossed.

As strange a method as it may sound, I use teabags to preserve rusty relics like this one.

Take a large container and fill it with warm water, enough so that you can fully submerge the item. Before dropping the helmet in, dump in a full pack of teabags and give it a stir. Once it's brewed, immerse the lid and leave it in there for a few hours. How long you want to leave it in there is up to you, but on the couple of occasions that I've used this method, I left the helmet to sit for a good six hours at least.

Once that's done, fish it out and place it in a sealed container with either silica gel packets or dry rice. That draws the moisture out, and makes sure that no new active rust will form. Once it's dry, take it out and display it proudly.

I received this tip from a collector of relic helmets, and it really does do wonders to stabilise lids that are crumbling. It sounds strange, but it works!

The tea contains tannic acid, which neutralises the rust without removing any of it. It does stain the item in question, so it'll have a darker overall appearance, but it won't harm any surviving paintwork or decal remnants. Keep in mind that I have only done this with relic shells, never a relic with the remnants of the liner. I don't see how it would hurt it, apart from the obvious staining. But it's worth keeping in mind.

Hope this helps!

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    As strange a method as it may sound, I use teabags to preserve rusty relics like this one.

Regards, B.B.
    B.B. That is one method I haven't come across yet. Interesting,
    I wouldn't mind giving it a darker touch. Question is, is this method strong enough to stabilise the rust completely?
    But thanks for sharing and worth looking into it some more!

Thanks.

Quote by BlackBox View Post
    B.B. That is one method I haven't come across yet. Interesting,
    I wouldn't mind giving it a darker touch. Question is, is this method strong enough to stabilise the rust completely?
    But thanks for sharing and worth looking into it some more!

Thanks.
    I used this method to treat a relic helmet that had been found at the bottom of a lake. Badly corroded, shedding flakes every time it was handled. After the tea treatment, it didn't drop a single flake until I sold it on six months later. No further scrubbing or chemical treatment was required. I haven't bought a relic helmet since, so can't speak for very long term results. But if active rust did reappear, it would be easy enough to repeat the treatment.

Here's how it looked before and after:

Rusty the German DD relic projectRusty the German DD relic project

I have tried the oxalic acid method as well, and much prefer the use of teabags. Doesn't discolour the surviving paint or damage the decals, and doesn't require dressing up in a rubber suit to use it safely!

B.B.

MAP
    ?

.....and doesn't require dressing up in a rubber suit .....
    And here I thought that was your "cup of tea" LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    And here I thought that was your "cup of tea" LoL
    On those 'special' occasions, oxalic acid is most certainly not involved!

B.B.

MAP
    ?

On those 'special' occasions, oxalic acid is most certainly not involved!

B.B.
    Way to much information!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Way to much information!
    Well, that's one way to derail a thread!

B.B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast