Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shrapnel KIA relic SD Heer M40

Article about: Have been touring Europe for the past month and brought back this beautiful KIA helm! 4 entries in the rear; 2 passing straight through to the front left with an almost exit and another larg

Default Shrapnel KIA relic SD Heer M40

Have been touring Europe for the past month and brought back this dark KIA helm! 5 entries in the rear; 2 passing straight through to the front left with an almost exit and another large dent above the temple.

A sad piece indeed.

You can see my entire 'haul' here:
    Welcome to my War Room

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shrapnel KIA relic SD Heer M40
    P
    Many

Certainly a very poignant reminder of the merciless brutality of war.

KIA helmets seem to be a very polarizing subject for helmet collectors, and for collectors in general. Some are perfectly happy to own them, others wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot barge pole. I used to be the former, and have partially transitioned to the latter in recent months. Owing to 'goings on' reported by family members (not experienced by myself) when I previously had one in the house, I would most likely pass on any others if offered to me.

The fact remains that this is a solid relic, the remains of the liner and the partial name in the rear of the skirt are nice bonuses.

Regards, B.B.

?

A very sobering piece indeed.

For me, I have mixed feelings about these pieces, on one hand it is a piece of history and very interesting, and on the other it makes my skin crawl.
    (I would not pass by on a piece though, if I was offered one.)

Anyways, a very nice piece and great for display, hope you enjoy having it in your collection.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Certainly a very poignant reminder of the merciless brutality of war.

KIA helmets seem to be a very polarizing subject for helmet collectors, and for collectors in general. Some are perfectly happy to own them, others wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot barge pole. I used to be the former, and have partially transitioned to the latter in recent months. Owing to 'goings on' reported by family members (not experienced by myself) when I previously had one in the house, I would most likely pass on any others if offered to me.

The fact remains that this is a solid relic, the remains of the liner and the partial name in the rear of the skirt are nice bonuses.

Regards, B.B.

I completely understand the sentiments; and I myself, don’t know how to feel. It’s a whirlwind of emotion seeing it sitting on my shelf. A hard truth of war and combat. I wish I could tell the story of the poor bloke it belonged to, but like with most pieces, it’s secrets will be withheld forever.

Quote by MilitariaMatt View Post
    I completely understand the sentiments; and I myself, don’t know how to feel. It’s a whirlwind of emotion seeing it sitting on my shelf. A hard truth of war and combat. I wish I could tell the story of the poor bloke it belonged to, but like with most pieces, it’s secrets will be withheld forever.
    If anything, its existence as a marker of death makes it all the more important to preserve. It's more than just a random helmet sitting on a shelf. It marks the end point of a human being's life. Just one out of millions, and a man who shall forever remain nameless, but a person all the same. Things like this really do portray the human aspect of war; that there were living people under each and every helmet. A helmet peppered with shrapnel reminds the viewer that not every one of those young men came home in the end.

In the interest of contributing to this thread: A couple of photos of my KIA helmet. One clean shrapnel or bullet hole, through the right side and exiting through the skirt. I'm leaning towards shrapnel, mainly due to the hairline crack across the dome.

Shrapnel KIA relic SD Heer M40Shrapnel KIA relic SD Heer M40

It's since moved on to a new owner, who appreciates relics more than I do. Though I've never been very superstitious, it is strange that my family reported no more ghostly goings-on after it had left the house.

Regards, B.B.

?

it is strange that my family reported no more ghostly goings-on after it had left the house.

Regards, B.B.
    I myself, sometimes wonder if I will hear something coming from the large closet I keep my militaria in...
    Seriously, I really do, even for some one who is only a little bit superstitious, you have to wonder sometimes...
    --------------------
    Or is it just me...

Quote by Ethan View Post
    I myself, sometimes wonder if I will hear something coming from the large closet I keep my militaria in...
    Seriously, I really do, even for some one who is only a little bit superstitious, you have to wonder sometimes...
    --------------------
    Or is it just me...
    It's not just you. Just about every older member of my family has an anecdote relating to supposed supernatural activity. I don't believe in it with any conviction myself, but I always enjoy a good ghost story.

The only incident that even comes close in my own experience was when one of my reproduction propaganda posters fell off the wall a few months ago. It peeled away, drifted through the air and floated past my face as I was sitting in my computer chair. Damn near jumped through the ceiling. I suspect that has more to do with the mortal failures of Blu Tack than the restless dead, though.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it is an interesting subject to discuss.

Regards, B.B.

?

It's not just you. Just about every older member of my family has an anecdote relating to supposed supernatural activity. I don't believe in it with any conviction myself, but I always enjoy a good ghost story.

The only incident that even comes close in my own experience was when one of my reproduction propaganda posters fell off the wall a few months ago. It peeled away, drifted through the air and floated past my face as I was sitting in my computer chair. Damn near jumped through the ceiling. I suspect that has more to do with the mortal failures of Blu Tack than the restless dead, though.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it is an interesting subject to discuss.

Regards, B.B.
    Oh, my mother has some good stories!
    I also have a good friend, I've known for a while that has some stories too...

Sorry, this is off topic... here, I will add something that is on topic to my post!

I think that it is a bit poetic that one of the shrapnel holes goes straight through the name on the helmet...
    (I tried)

Quote by Ethan View Post
    Oh, my mother has some good stories!
    I also have a good friend, I've known for a while that has some stories too...

Sorry, this is off topic... here, I will add something that is on topic to my post!

I think that it is a bit poetic that one of the shrapnel holes goes straight through the name on the helmet...
    (I tried)

I agree with ya haha eerie. Judging by the pattern of impacts it looks like that was the first penetration too. I feel better at least knowing the man didn’t suffer. You can’t help but think of all the scenarios that could’ve led to such a dramatic death. A sad piece indeed.

Hey, the fella might not have been wearing it at the time too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast