Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.

Article about: I am more of an raf collector and dont really know much else to be honest.Recently my collection needed an army type addition so i went and got myself a British airborne helmet as i thought

Default Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.

I am more of an raf collector and dont really know much else to be honest.Recently my collection needed an army type addition so i went and got myself a British airborne helmet as i thought it kinda goes with airforce air theme does it not i can get away with it in my collection.Also my wifes great uncle was shot down in his glider on the way to Arnhem and was killed and we have his photo which we now display next to the helmet as a tribute.My army theme did not stop there i have since got a couple of tommy helmets and then the german side came calling i got myself a relic stick grenade which i thought to be iconic of the German army but was not happy with it as i didnt have a helmet.The thing is after a bit of research i didnt think my wife would take the expense of a German helmet after the para one andstupid me a few years ago i had a m35 shell 80% correct green paint 75% army eagle and 50% national decal i sold it to fund a flying helmet £100.00 quid i could kick myself as i bet someone added a liner and chin strap and sold it for a foul amount.So i just purchased this it was recently dug up in a village near St lo and out of the few that were found it is the best condition one and it was affordable.Please let me know what you think please this is as found and has not been cleaned it still has mud on do i clean it or leave it was toying with the idea of washing the mud off and trying a bit of car polish as it is solid or will it spoil it ? shall i leave it as nature turned it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.   Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.  

Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.   Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.

Mate i've got lots of relic lids for me i';d just clean off a bit of the surplus mud and then leave it as history has left it
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

That is a very nice lid

i agree just clean the most of the mud of and display it

Default Re: Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.

nice lid, i agree with the rest of the guys by just cleaning off some of the mud

Thanks

Danny

?

Unfortunately I see some spots which is caused by the wet after the helmet was recovered the helmet was not properly preserved, due of that, some of the paint will be fall down
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hmmm,
    Could be right with this one.I would however clean some mud from the inside flare to look for name and any markings.Leaving them as they were found is okay but it tends to deteriate after a while.Paint will fall off and leather will fall from the band too if not treated

Nice pick up all the same

Tom

Here is what i have done with it and it will stay this way now.Had lots of surface dust and dried on mud only doing it more damage so cleaned it in wash and wax and have applied furniture polish several times to give it a good coating and the liner i have treated the dried out bits with beeswax leather care and it seems to have done the job.After carefully looking you can see a different paint looks like a thick texture light brown that has been applied in small areas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.   Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.  

Single decal German Army helmet from St Lo.  

Then again im starting to doubt the decal after looking a few times i got this from a guy on ebay and it was covered in rust and dry mud when i got it but just cant be too carefull i guess does the decal look too minty for the condition of the helmet would it of lasted like this? i hope it is genuine but only you guys can tell me

A good clear pic of the decal is needed. Take the pic in natural daylight.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast