Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.

Article about: Hi I recently picked up this helmet from a guy in Berlin who told me it was found in a cellar during a house clearance. The helmet is an m35 SD ET64 lot number 3842 as you can see it’s in se

Default SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.

Hi I recently picked up this helmet from a guy in Berlin who told me it was found in a cellar during a house clearance. The helmet is an m35 SD ET64 lot number 3842 as you can see it’s in semi relic condition and the mice have been at the liner I just liked the look of it and the guy didn’t want much for it so I took a chance on it. The decal or what’s left of it looks well set and the lot number seems to fall within the ET range for SS produced lids so I’m hoping it’s a good one. I no these SS relic helmets can be hard to authenticate it I’m hoping this one is ok. Any opinions welcomed thanks in advance. Cheers johnSS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS m35 SD SEMI RELIC HELMET.
    P
    Many

Would anyone no if there would be some sort of preservative I could put on the helmet to stop further deterioration, a wax maybe? Also any opinions always welcome.

Cheers john

Hi John,

This helmet raises a lot of questions especially for less experienced members such as myself. It looks like the decal has been liberated from the original paint. You can see this especially where the bottom right of the decal is a bit blurred. It's dissimilar to the rest of the shell and jumps out at you. There appears to be more black to the background of the decal which would not be in keeping with an SS decal - perhaps there was another type underneath previously or another was placed over the original? The liner pins especially the rear pin have more paint than the rest of the helmet which makes one question the whether or not the helmet and liner were originally together.

As for preservatives coatings - I use Renaissance Wax on relic items which puts a fine non-greasy coating over the item and prevents further rust. The British Museum uses it on their swords and suits of armour. Available on eBay. Certainly not something to be used on items that are non-relic.

Anyway, an interesting helmet as they all are and I look forward to seeing what the more experienced collectors make of this helmet.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Difficult to know on the decal as it is quite deteriorated - as Andy says it does look like it has been liberated in some way.
    I'd probably leave the shell as is, but store in a dry environment.
    Nick

Many thanks for your input sadly no opinions on this when originally posted. I no these are a hard call especially when there is so little of the decal left I have shown the helmet to several collectors and also posted it on some Facebook groups with no negative feedback but I do agree the amount of black within the decal is strange, the lot number seems to fall within the range of SS helmets produced by ET liner pons look unmessed with to me but I’m no expert with these. I purchased the helmet from a Facebook group the guy sells many items and always offers a lifetime guarantee so if it’s proved bad I would seek my money back the helmet was apparently found in a cellar hence the condition but who knows I was going to sell this helmet but will hold onto it until I no if it’s original or not.

Really anything could be with this. The shell is 1938 made, but there is a later war pigskin liner in it. So if indeed original, some style of an SS re-issue ? The decal as stated is too poor condition to tell if original. Can you read the liner band date ?
    D.

Just had a look for a date but unfortunately the band is to tight to the shell to see. The tip of the Chinstrap is dated 1940 so definitely the possibility of a reissue. Split pins seem very tight to the band and I can’t see any evidence of them being messed with.

So I managed to take a few pictures of the split pins on the helmet and to me they look unmessed with. The liner band seems to be dated DRP 1940 or 1943? To my eyes and the Chinstrap tip is dated 1940 could this indeed be a reissue? Or maybe just a Frankenstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast