Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Stalingrad Helmets on eBay

Article about: Hi New to the forum, and pretty green at being able to tell the real thing from fakes (at the moment anyway). Came across a seller (thesteelhelmet) on eBay from Moscow claiming to have dug u

Default Stalingrad Helmets on eBay

Hi

New to the forum, and pretty green at being able to tell the real thing from fakes (at the moment anyway).

Came across a seller (thesteelhelmet) on eBay from Moscow claiming to have dug up German helmets in Stalingrad. Here's one, an M35:

WW2 German Helmet M35 Size 66. The Battle for Stalingrad. WW II Relic Rare !!! | eBay

Stalingrad Helmets on eBayStalingrad Helmets on eBayStalingrad Helmets on eBayStalingrad Helmets on eBayStalingrad Helmets on eBayStalingrad Helmets on eBayStalingrad Helmets on eBayStalingrad Helmets on eBay

Is this, and those like it being offered as a 'find' really a fake, or the real thing? How do you tell?

I was skeptical of the 'reversing' effect on the decal (left side) but have since seen similar white/black 'reversing' on authentic helmets shown on this forum.

Any advice/insight appreciated.

Thanks, and please forgive the newbie question.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad Helmets on eBay  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad Helmets on eBay
    P
    Many

Personally speaking I think he has quite a cottage industry going there, heres another:

WW2 German Helmet M35 Size 62. The Battle for Stalingrad. WW II Relic Rare !!! | eBay

I don't think I've ever seen a period photo of barbed wire ever been in use on a helmet, could be wrong though, also being ground dug would barbed wire survive 70 - 80 years ?

Just my opinion ....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad Helmets on eBay  
    "Per Ardua"

He's good, also has a chicken wire relic, with the chicken wire still shining ....

WW2 German Helmet M42 Size 64. WW II Relic Rare !!! | eBay
    "Per Ardua"

CBH
    ?

I agree with Paul, junk. Why would a relic helmet in Russia be rare?

There does indeed seem to be a cottage industry of jazzing up relic helmets, repaints, fake decals and whatever you'd call that.

...and not just relic helmets....barbed wire certainly appears to be "this years black"...I've only been collecting helmets for about 40 years...and have not yet seen a period photograph of a barbed-wire clad helmet...from ANY country.....but as our learned colleagues have already pointed out there's quite a few out there that have all hit the market in the last 6-12 months. I can only assume that the mythical burial ground of the 5th SS Stacheldraht und Huhnerdraht Stahlhelm Division has at last been found!

personally I'd wait........

If I was looking for a helmet from Stalingrad, I'd only buy from a Digger/Seller out of Volgograd ... I have also long questioned the use of Barbed Wire around helmets...It would likely be more of a hindrance to the wearer and not practical at all, in my opinion...
    A few of our fellow WRF-Members live in Volgograd...I'd be more likely to contact them...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...and not just relic helmets....barbed wire certainly appears to be "this years black"...I've only been collecting helmets for about 40 years...and have not yet seen a period photograph of a barbed-wire clad helmet...from ANY country.....but as our learned colleagues have already pointed out there's quite a few out there that have all hit the market in the last 6-12 months. I can only assume that the mythical burial ground of the 5th SS Stacheldraht und Huhnerdraht Stahlhelm Division has at last been found!

personally I'd wait........
    Actually there are photos of German soldiers with barbed wire on their helmets at Stalingrad (and other places). Here's one (soldier back left):

Stalingrad Helmets on eBay

Some info here on helmets at Stalingrad that mention and show the wire:
    https://alexanderandsonsrestorations...et-stalingrad/

And here are the common wiring configurations used by Germans on their helmets in WW2:
    German-Helmets.com

German-helmets.com do state that wiring on helmets in Russia was uncommon however.

So the wiring on the helmet isn't an instant black mark for me. Surely there is something more compelling if it is a fake. e.g. the stamping on the inside is fake because . . . ?

Cheers

Is that wire on the back left soldier's helmet barbed or just plain wire? I'm not seeing the barbs on it clearly enough to say that it is. Certainly, they did use wire, but, as Glenn said, I could see no advantage to using Barbed wire-aside from making it catch on everything it came into contact and poking into your hands every time you took off or adjusted your helmet.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Is that wire on the back left soldier's helmet barbed or just plain wire? I'm not seeing the barbs on it clearly enough to say that it is. Certainly, they did use wire, but, as Glenn said, I could see no advantage to using Barbed wire-aside from making it catch on everything it came into contact and poking into your hands every time you took off or adjusted your helmet.
    I agree. Even on the link I didn't see any barbed wire being used. It mentions wire, even shows wire, just not barbed. Probably a safe bet that barbed wire wouldn't survive that well underground either. I have seen barbed wire that has come to be in the ground from much more current times and it is in really bad shape compared to the barbed wire on the helmet shown.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast