Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We must be diligent!!

Article about: THIS IS NOT A RELIC WINTER HELMET - IT IS A REPRODUCTION Here is a classic case of a trap for the unwary - this is a reproduction shell that has been whitewashed and then aged. This seller i

Default We must be diligent!!

THIS IS NOT A RELIC WINTER HELMET - IT IS A REPRODUCTION

Here is a classic case of a trap for the unwary - this is a reproduction shell that has been whitewashed and then aged.
    This seller is being quite clear about this fact and is doing the right thing for a prospective buyer ... however the next on-seller may not be so honest and another dud will be on the market.

So be aware people, look at the identifiers ( the red rust, fresh paint flaking, odd looking vent for a M42 ) and don't get fooled by "well, its obviously a ground dug helmet so it MUST be legitimate" logic.

ALL relic collectors nowadays have to be as diligent as any other helmet collector to avoid getting burnt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture We must be diligent!!   We must be diligent!!  

We must be diligent!!   We must be diligent!!  

We must be diligent!!  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement We must be diligent!!
    P
    Many

?

""like""

Thank you Sir.

Study..and research always stays one step ahead of the scammers. Good job Dan
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I saw this one on Ebay and was suspect to it, thanks for clarifying for me and all of us Dan.

Well done Dan, these helmets are a bloody minefield. Thanks for pointing out this info to those of us that wouldn't know any different, It looks like a great helmet to me!

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    THIS IS NOT A RELIC WINTER HELMET - IT IS A REPRODUCTION

.....don't get fooled by "well, its obviously a ground dug helmet so it MUST be legitimate" logic.

ALL relic collectors nowadays have to be as diligent as any other helmet collector to avoid getting burnt.
    >>LIKE<<

This is why "making" a helmet - for any reason - into something it wasn't should not be condoned by collectors, even for "filler".

I've been slagged in the past by relic collectors when I have said exactly what Dan has said above. I trust relics less than any other helmet in fact. Give this the "Demyansk Found Story", let guys imaginations run wild with what combat this has seen and a junk shell is now worth $500 as a winter camo relic.

Note - other identifiers are the curved scratches, repetitive toolmarks, paint under where rivets would have been, no rivet "wear", high points have paint whereas low points nearby do not, sanding marks.

Same with all the reenactor field gear and uniforms - aged and worn out.

?

I have now started to notice this phenomenon with so called ground dug Mk II's coming for the most part out of Normandy and Eastern Europe as I have been looking to add a battle damaged example to my collection for some time.
    And Doug I could not agree more fillers and or refitted and messed with helmets and other military will be the bain of collectors in the future and IMO there will be quite the mess to sort through in the years to come to discern what is real and what is fantasy especially for the new starting in this hobbie.

Regards Mark

And add poor quality orange distorted color photos to fool as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast