Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.

Article about: Hello and welcome, well it's been a while since ive placed a thread but i was just waiting to pickup an item worthwhile posting. I got this one in yesterday and like most collector's i was e

Default Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.

Hello and welcome, well it's been a while since ive placed a thread but i was just waiting to pickup an item worthwhile posting. I got this one in yesterday and like most collector's i was extremely critical of the wire.After a close examination i am 100% convinced it's been on there for 60 year's.I have a little history on this one too which is alway's nice

This Helmet was dugout near a bridgehead in the Kurland area and was also found with a small tag with the name and emblem GRIEF on it. This translate's to the word Griffin and was the emblem of the 122nd Infantry Division which fought in the Kurland area in 1944.Unfortunately i did'nt get offered the tag but it make's for interesting history.Most will know it was also the name of Rommel's Sdkfz 250 Halftrack he used in Afrika.

The wire is mostly made form copper so that's why it appear's to be a little fresh in place's after cleaning but has left a white corrosive stain in the paint.The steel section going over the top and side's has rusted to the shell and also is attached by cammo paint.The paint appear's to have had some dirt or sawdust mixed in with it to give an extra rough texture but sadly may have contributed to some corrosion on the top leaving 3 small hole's. I have cleaned out the inside just a little to prevent more rust occuring and found the maker and size stamp of SE64. The batch number is also at the centre of the rear flare but is mostly covered by paint and rust.The outer liner band of zinc has fallen appart along with the remain's of leather on the way to Oz. One of the stud's outer case has gone from the right hand side which is unusual and the steel wire has a break on the same side leaving a faint line in the paint. Maybe this was grazed by shrapnel during it's final battle and therefore did'nt rust to the shell like the rest? It was found with other equipment together with another helmet also with wire attached that was more badly rusted but unfortunatly i was out bid that one.Maybe these guy's were Pioneer's trying to blow the bridge as they often wore wired Helmet's for cammo purpose's. Who know's but i'm glad they left it there

Enjoy the pic's

Tom.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.   Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.  

Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.   Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.  

Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.   Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.  

Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wired M40 cammo.Kurland relic.

Sorry,
    Maker on this Helmet is actually NS not SE but i can't figure out how to edit my original thread If i could take closer pic's you could see how the wire has aged with the shell but believe me it's no fake done postwar.Any question's you might have please fire away.This is my first relic Helmet with original wire so i'm pretty excited about it and i'm looking forward to your comment's

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just wanted to say that I like this helmet and am very jealous

Cheers,

Grant

?

I agree it looks very nice rgds Dave

Hi Tom, thanks for sharing it with us. Nice to know were it was found etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank's guy's,
    I am very pleased with this oneNice of you all to leave such nice comment's.I bought it from the soon to be famous Evgenij in Latvia. He has sold some very nice relic Helmet's lately and has restored the faith a little now.So many faker's out there ripping people off that it's nice to see you can still find a good honest seller who care's about history.
    The Helmet is a bit greener under natural light but hard to see with digital photo's and look's much better in real life. I hav'nt cleaned the outside at all and it's just as it came to me but i have given it a little scrub on the inside of the dome to get rid of any loose dirt and rust

Cheer's

Tom

Awesome relic wired lid mate , i like it , cheers Raymond

Cheer's Raymond,
    Thank's for your nice comment That's what i love about the forum as we can all share and learn from our discovery's.Sound's like a good plan to beat the faker's out there and create a safer market.
    Ive just noticed in the photo's that there may be the faint remain's of a decal on the left side. It's very hard to see in natural light but seem's to only show up in digital photo's. Just another part of it's history revealed i guess

Tom

?

Nice lid Tom

History of the 122 ID a veteran Division of Army Group North

Dates Korps Armee Armeegrupp Area 11.40-3.41 XX 11. Armee C Gross-Born 4.41 X 18. Armee B Ostpreußen 5.41 XXVIII 16. Armee C Ostpreußen 6.41-8.41 XXVIII 16. Armee Nord Kowno, Sebesh 9.41 XXXIX 16. Armee Nord Opotschka 10.41-11.41 XXVIII 18. Armee Nord Leningrad 12.41-2.42 L 18. Armee Nord Leningrad 3.42 Reserve 16. Armee Nord Staraja Russa 4.42-6.42 X 16. Armee Nord Staraja Russa 7.42-2.43 II 16. Armee Nord Demjansk 3.43 X 16. Armee Nord Demjansk 4.43-5.43 Reserve 16. Armee Nord Staraja Russa 6.43-7.43 VIII 16. Armee Nord Staraja Russa 8.43 Reserve 16. Armee Nord Staraja Russa 9.43-10.43 X 16. Armee Nord Staraja Russa 11.43-3.44 I 16. Armee Nord Newel 4.44 Reserve Narwa Nord Narwa 5.44-6.44 XXXXIII Narwa Nord Narwa 7.44 in Finnish Army

Wiborg 8.474-9.44 L 18. Armee Nord Reval, Pernau 10.44 XXXVIII Grasser Nord Kurland 11.44 L Kleffel Nord Kurland 12.44-1.45 L 16. Armee Nord Kurland 2.45 L 16. Armee Kurland Kurland 3.45-4.45 XXXVIII 16. Armee Kurland Kurland
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Tom Bennett View Post
    Hello and welcome, well it's been a while since ive placed a thread but i was just waiting to pickup an item worthwhile posting. I got this one in yesterday and like most collector's i was extremely critical of the wire.After a close examination i am 100% convinced it's been on there for 60 year's.I have a little history on this one too which is alway's nice

This Helmet was dugout near a bridgehead in the Kurland area and was also found with a small tag with the name and emblem GRIEF on it. This translate's to the word Griffin and was the emblem of the 122nd Infantry Division which fought in the Kurland area in 1944.Unfortunately i did'nt get offered the tag but it make's for interesting history.Most will know it was also the name of Rommel's Sdkfz 250 Halftrack he used in Afrika.

The wire is mostly made form copper so that's why it appear's to be a little fresh in place's after cleaning but has left a white corrosive stain in the paint.The steel section going over the top and side's has rusted to the shell and also is attached by cammo paint.The paint appear's to have had some dirt or sawdust mixed in with it to give an extra rough texture but sadly may have contributed to some corrosion on the top leaving 3 small hole's. I have cleaned out the inside just a little to prevent more rust occuring and found the maker and size stamp of SE64. The batch number is also at the centre of the rear flare but is mostly covered by paint and rust.The outer liner band of zinc has fallen appart along with the remain's of leather on the way to Oz. One of the stud's outer case has gone from the right hand side which is unusual and the steel wire has a break on the same side leaving a faint line in the paint. Maybe this was grazed by shrapnel during it's final battle and therefore did'nt rust to the shell like the rest? It was found with other equipment together with another helmet also with wire attached that was more badly rusted but unfortunatly i was out bid that one.Maybe these guy's were Pioneer's trying to blow the bridge as they often wore wired Helmet's for cammo purpose's. Who know's but i'm glad they left it there

Enjoy the pic's

Tom.

Tom,
    Beautiful helmet, I can tell that you alredy cleaned it but if you try cleaning it with a product containing OXALIC ACID results will be greater!!Here in the US there is one called Rust Aid in England you should probably try to look for prods used for deck cleaning these are based on Oxalic Acid. Congratulations again!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast