Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is 3M tape not recommended?

Article about: Hi, I'm thinking about sticking a coin in my display using 3M double sided tape. Can that be detrimental to the metal? The coin is mint and I'd like to keep it that way, so I just want to ma

?

Default Is 3M tape not recommended?

Hi,

I'm thinking about sticking a coin in my display using 3M double sided tape. Can that be detrimental to the metal?

The coin is mint and I'd like to keep it that way, so I just want to make sure that it's not going to affect it in the long run.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is 3M tape not recommended?
    P
    Many

All adhesives have some a chemical compound which will eventually degrade. So I cant see a problem if you change it occasionally.
    Morris

Sticking adhesive tape on a coin will damage it. Put the coin into a PVC free(hard plastic) 2x2 clear holder. Then it will be safe to tape the 2x2 to the display-just so long as the adhesive does not touch the coin.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I never recommend tape of any sort, but find that
    Cellotape will come off quite easily from lots of
    surfaces without leaving residue or harming
    what it clings to. It's probably the only tape
    product I'd use. Roll up a small square
    piece - sticky side out.

Or try a couple of small round-headed pins
    the same colour as your backing material
    to support the coin.

What kind of coin is it.........?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is 3M tape not recommended?  
    Regards,

Steve.

As a coin collector of well over a half a century, I can absolutely state to Never touch a coin with tape adhesive. To a collector, it is anathema. Whether it's silver, zink, bronze or aluminum, it is something that you do Not ever want to do. As said above, just get a nice 2 x 2 "Flip", as they call them, and you'll be fine. You've described the coin as being "mint condition"...always best to keep it that way. From there, the value only goes down...
    William

William's method of mounting the coin in a
    protective sleeve is indeed the best way
    to display the coin if it's a rare and or
    valuable piece..........!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is 3M tape not recommended?  
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Sticking adhesive tape on a coin will damage it. Put the coin into a PVC free(hard plastic) 2x2 clear holder. Then it will be safe to tape the 2x2 to the display-just so long as the adhesive does not touch the coin.
    This, of course, is a subject for much debate and yes sometimes sticky tape looks like a good option.
    However, my own opinion (everybody has one right?) is that unles the adhesive product used is specifically designed by the maker and used by hobbyists and professionals for the purpose intended by you, then don't use it!
    The point is that any adhesive contains chemical compounds whether natural or synthetic and chemicals in contact with other materials have a bad habit of causing a "chemical reaction". In the case of coins, medals etc this can be a most upsetting change in the colour of the metal which being even just a few microns deep is impossible to remove without damaging the surface detail. Also not all compounds react the same way with all materials contacted so the point here is you just don't know what might happen and the effects can range from unpleasant residue that is hard to remove without causing harm, through discolouration to actual corrosion of the artifact. Do you want to risk it? What you are seeking is a method that is truly inert. If you find a tape that is certified inert then fine, the pin method may be OK but if the pins have a plastic head this can cause a local issue too, plus metal pins may possibly result in localised galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals. Tricky isn't it?
    Of course it all depends on how valuable (to you rather than intrinsically) the artifact is whether you want to be this fussy. A similar problem occurs with wooden display cases or frames made from inappropriate wood that produces corrosive fumes.

The best course of action is to use a display method made of something you know is inert (eg glass) or something designed and marketed specifically for numismatic purposes. This includes the plastic envelopes mentioned by William above but only if they come from a reputable coin / medal dealer and are certified inert.

I know this is a bit heavy for what might just be a common or garden Reichsmark coin but you didn't say and it would not do to give advice that ends up with you damaging something precious

I hope this helps and please let us see what you are displaying

Regards

Mark

PS These are ideal;
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A local coin dealer suggested "Blutack" , it does not stain the coin or discolor .

?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    All adhesives have some a chemical compound which will eventually degrade. So I cant see a problem if you change it occasionally.
    Morris
    Thanks, this is what I was fearing.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Excellent idea, I will definitely look into these. Do you have any recommended brand?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    What kind of coin is it.........?
    Here it is

Would definitely appreciate your opinion on this piece!

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    PS These are ideal;
    Thank you very much for this detailed reply! Very helpful.

Do you have any recommendation in terms of reputable maker of inert plastic cases? Those you are showing are very, very nice. Do you know who makes them?

Thank you all for your help! This forum is awesome!

Actually, it's more of a Medal than a Coin, but still a nice and collectable Silver piece. It made in Vienna Austria by the famed Hauptmünzamt . You should be easily able to find a 2x2 Flip from any coin shop around. It should only cost a few cents. There are no preferred brands, as they are all basically the same, so that should be fine. Like I said, just make sure that it's like the one shown by Steve in Post #6- the harder plastic and not the softer foldable kind and you should be quite safe.
    William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast