Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ssh40 relic helmet refurbishment

Article about: ive been contemplating working on this relic for a while now ,i should add not to restore in any way but just clean it up hopefully preserve what solid metal there is left, its been graduall

Default Ssh40 relic helmet refurbishment

ive been contemplating working on this relic for a while now ,i should add not to restore in any way but just clean it up hopefully preserve what solid metal there is left, its been gradually shedding rusty flakes and ive been reluctant to put it on display because of the poor condition with this in mind ive made a start ,i would never normally touch my relics but i feel i had nothing to loose on this one ,i didnt go down the oxilic route but just applied heat to remove the loose stuff and with little elbow grease have cleaned off the residue back to bare metal ,i will finish off with some ren wax to preserve it in its final state and then hopefully find a place back on the shelf ,here's some before and part way through shots ,when i pick up the wax ill update again Ssh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishment
    Regards James

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ssh40 relic helmet refurbishment
    P
    Many

?

Looking good James! I wouldn't know where to start with cleaning up a relic but you have done a fine job! Cheers, Sean.

good luck James.

thanks for your interest sean and harry one thing i never realised was the two hairline cracks front and rear hidden by the rust barnacles for want of a better word ,the relic is drying out now but once i apply the wax ill update the thread
    Regards James

?

Way to keep it alive James, So where was that one found/dug Up?

Semper Fi
    Phil

thanks phil ,if memory serves me i think estonia/latvia area of eastern front
    Regards James

just a small update ,in keeping with the condition and age ive gone for the oily rag approach Ssh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishmentSsh40 relic helmet refurbishment