Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British air raid siren

Article about: This thing is a beast at 220 pounds. I purchased this air raid siren several months ago and can't wait to fire it up! But before I do, has anybody here in the US restored one of these? I kno

Thanks to all who replied! As everybody has stated, the electrical requirements are going to take some figuring. I know these were located on top of buildings and towers to warn towns of incoming air raids. I believe they put out around 132 decibels so I know they're incredibly loud! I have seen the video 37Webbing provided and it is definitely one of the motivating factors in me buying the one I have now. The timing could not have been better as the gentleman I purchased it from literally found this one about a week after I contacted him inquiring about a genuine WWII air raid siren.

If and when I do get mine up and running, I'll be sure to post it for everybody. Thanks again for the information.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British air raid siren
    P
    Many

132 decibels will cause ear damage if standing by it...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I really want one of these to let loose in my street!

?

Excellent video.. makes your hair stand on end just listening to it... & I was born in 1970 lol. Cheers Terry.

Quote by BattleforPrum View Post
    If and when I do get mine up and running, I'll be sure to post it for everybody. Thanks again for the information.
    As I said it shouldn't be a problem if you consult a qualified electrician. The whole world uses three phase systems for power distribution and industrial applications especially high load motors and the US is no exception. I imagine all you have to do is look in the phone book (if such a thing can be found these days, you know what I mean though!!).

Three-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I look forward to a video if you can make one!

Regards

Mark

In the 90's I lived in Wokingham about 5 miles from Broadmoor secure Hospital, They had these fitted and would sound them in the case of any 'Patients' escaping. It was procedure that they would test them every Monday morning at 10am. I recall the first Monday I lived there hearing the sirens sounding, I was more than a little concerned due to A.No one having informed me about the existence of the sirens and b,the cold war still being ongoing.

Yup, full-on goose bumps! Arms AND legs!!

evolotion
    ?

Electrically to be on the safe side you need a vfd, or inverter, these can be set to output the correct voltage, frequency and even soft start the motor. From any input power.

Paul Bateman
    ?

Anybody know how to get the fins off the ends they truely stuck on removed the bolts and used heat to try and free them up but they will budge an inch we are trying to restore it for the dublin fire brigade museum in dublin ireland any help would be great

Quote by Paul Bateman View Post
    Anybody know how to get the fins off the ends they truely stuck on removed the bolts and used heat to try and free them up but they will budge an inch we are trying to restore it for the dublin fire brigade museum in dublin ireland any help would be great
    Are they the aluminium type? They are very brittle and can crack easily being so old. I never had cause to remove the fins, but would suggest using easing oil such as WD 40 or better still Plus Gas, although diesel or paraffin will work at a push. You might need to allow several days to allow it to penetrate, and multiple applications.

I just thought, you have removed the tapered locking key from the bearing shaft haven't you?

British air raid siren

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2