Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this helmet salvageable?

Article about: This SSh-39 helmet is for sale for a cheap price and I wondered if it's possible to remove the postwar paint. The helmet doesn't seem badly corroded and thus there could be plenty of origina

Default Is this helmet salvageable?

This SSh-39 helmet is for sale for a cheap price and I wondered if it's possible to remove the postwar paint. The helmet doesn't seem badly corroded and thus there could be plenty of original paintwork left. I've seen many battlefield found helmets painted this way in Finland, usually done in the 60's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this helmet salvageable?   Is this helmet salvageable?  

Is this helmet salvageable?   Is this helmet salvageable?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this helmet salvageable?
    P
    Many

Postwar paint is certainly removable.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Postwar paint is certainly removable.
    That's good. I've read that acetone works well. It just seems that some paint is harder to remove, I'll probably get this helmet and try myself.

?

Hello,
    the problem with the 60' paint is the lead. Like every old paints ( earlier than 80' ) you can find lead inside.
    The reason is better fix paint. Be very cautious with with kind of paint cause of saturnism.
    never sand down without mask and gloves.
    For your helmet, try cotton with acetone inside.
    Check if the white ca be removed. If paint peel off, check if there is original paint under the dirty one.
    Tips for good restauration, check constantly, and be patient.
    post progression pics.

Quote by remss View Post
    Hello,
    the problem with the 60' paint is the lead. Like every old paints ( earlier than 80' ) you can find lead inside.
    The reason is better fix paint. Be very cautious with with kind of paint cause of saturnism.
    never sand down without mask and gloves.
    For your helmet, try cotton with acetone inside.
    Check if the white ca be removed. If paint peel off, check if there is original paint under the dirty one.
    Tips for good restauration, check constantly, and be patient.
    post progression pics.
    I didn't realize that, thanks! I got the helmet and will try how the paint comes off soon .

I received the helmet today. The dome is very solid but the newer paint seems pretty stiff, especially on the outside part. I'm still hopeful and will update the thread once I try to restore it. Seems like someone gave it to their kids, as there's glitter inside and some stars on the front part of the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this helmet salvageable?   Is this helmet salvageable?