Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

alloy corrosion

Article about: hi guys, i live on an old ww2 airfield and have many many finds, i clean up the alloy parts with an acid product called allibrite, my question is what can i do to stop the white oxydizing fr

Default alloy corrosion

hi guys,
    i live on an old ww2 airfield and have many many finds, i clean up the alloy parts with an acid product called allibrite, my question is what can i do to stop the white oxydizing from returning? is varnishing/laquering the best method?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement alloy corrosion
    P
    Many

Default Re: alloy corrosion

I have never had to do any work on alloy but clearly it will need something put on it to prevent the air getting to it and causing the reaction.

There is a very good product called "Ren Wax". I use it on blades, etc. It is used by the British Museum. While not cheap at about £11 it will go a long way. This would be safe to use and like any conservation product it can be removed without harm.

Cheers, Ade.

thanks ade, il try and find some and give that a go.

?

White aluminium oxide is a real pain, it can be removed by many means including acid (Sulphuric) stripping and sandblasting. The best method for protecting the surface is to lacquer the item using clear automotive spray paint, there are quite a few which are designed to be used on bare aluminium to stop this very problem. Plus most clear lacquers dry to a really hard scratch resistant finish.

Nige.