Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet

Article about: by Georg Steve-even those the photo may look dark, the Feldzeichen is White with a green center ( just dirty). I will keep looking for the large national cockade with the large hole (for the

?

Default any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet

I pick up this Saxon Ulanen helmet at auction. It is not in the best of shape, but I have been looking for one for a while.Could anyone give me any suggestion on how I could re-shape it.
    (I still can’t post photos)

0803_6420.jpg picture by eightball2011 - Photobucket

0803_6422.jpg picture by eightball2011 - Photobucket
    0803_6409.jpg picture by eightball2011 - Photobucket
    0803_6409.jpg picture by eightball2011 - Photobucket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet

Unfortunately, there really isn't all that much that you can do with very old and dried leather. I've seen guys try various oils like mink oil,etc to try to soak into it and re-lubricate them,but they usually end up damaging it. 100 year old plus leather is pretty fragile and it's probably best to not try,or you could very well end up virtually destroying it. Handle it with kid gloves,in any case! You can't be Too cautious with century plus old leather! It's a great helmet and not all that bad of shape-it displays well and is fairly stable at this point. I really wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy it and display it as is,would be my advice. It's a great old rare helmet! It would be terrible to see it ruined after it's survived all these years in such great shape! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I do agree with Wagriff!
    Leave it as it is, it is a fine looking helmet!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Georg...a fine looking helmet and rare ! the other members are right leave it alone ! you could put the helmet onto a head form, glass ones are the best, if a polystyrene one is used cover the form in cotton/linen so no acids from the plastics can damage the hat. I keep a couple of Pickelhaubes on such forms, it helps keep there shape, if placed on such a form, the helmet will after a couple of weeks take a better natural shape......I show my modified form and Officers haube that sits atop it. Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet   any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet  

Just be 1000% gentle and Slowly ease it onto the head form if you feel the need to try this! If it Cracks-and leather can Very Suddenly split,the helmet will be Ruined. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Georg....I have copied and placed here your photobucket photographs, as the links from that site tend to disapear after a time rendering this thread useless. Your Tschapka (Lance Cap) is a Model 1889, marked to, "Kgl. Sächs.1. Ulanen-Regt. Kaiser Franz Josef von Österreich, König von Ungarn'' Nr.17" garrisoned at Oschatz, part of the XII Armee Korps. the "E" marking tells you that it was issued to a trooper of the 2nd Eskadrille (Squadron) of that Regiment. It should sport the Large 63mm national cockade and the Feldzeichen (perched on the morter board) should be in Saxon colours (white/green) not Prussian as your is. Trivia....regulations specified that the Tschapka be worn at all times, with the front visor 3cms over the right eye, and 5cms over the left eye, in other words cocked to the right !...... Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet   any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet  

any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet   any suggestion on how I could re-shape my Saxon Ulanen helmet  

Last edited by oradour; 08-04-2011 at 07:27 AM.

?

Thanks for the good information, I have put it on a glass head and hope that it will re-shape to the head (and yes, I did put a rubber band on it (the helmet keep sliding up-I will remove the band in a day or two).

I may have gotten a little carried away at the auction (like a kid seeing something he wanted for a long time). I hope that I didn’t over-pay; I gave $900.00 for it, did I over paid for it?

Technical/Design - Questions, How-to, & Advice
    I still can’t post images,I have asked for help on the Technical forum ( we will see )

5.jpg picture by eightball2011 - Photobucket

A wonderful piece of history!

Can I ask, what is the history behind the mortar board fashion? It seems to me to be a superficial decoration rather than anything of practical use?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Can I ask, what is the history behind the mortar board fashion? It seems to me to be a superficial decoration rather than anything of practical use?
    Glenn, the Tschapka or lancers cap was first used 1808 in the Prussian Army, they raised lancer units in emulation of the heroic Polish lancers that were fighting Napoleon during that period, this was also accompanied by the adoption of uniforms, based in many ways upon those worn by those Polish units. So it was no more traditional or decorative than any other form of headress in many other nations armies at that time, however by the Great War it was well outdated and harkened back to the Napoleonic era.....the "morter board" is not only decorative and distinct, but if you look carefully it has a small metal hook affixedat the rear to the wearers right, this is where the "Fangschnur" or cap cords fastened, these cords were looped around the wearers neck and fastened to the wearers jacket, making sure that, during battle, if the Tschapke was knocked from the wearers head it would it would not be lost ! so I suppose it had a use ! Georg, that was a good price to pay ! I would expect a price at a dealer to be in excess of £900-1000, approx $1500, so you stole it !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 08-04-2011 at 07:38 PM.

?

Thanks to all for the help, I have the helmet on a glass head and hope that it will re-shape itself in a week or two.

Steve-even those the photo may look dark, the Feldzeichen is White with a green center ( just dirty). I will keep looking for the large national cockade with the large hole (for the m-91 post), should this helmet have a Chin Scale or leather chin Strap?

By the way after the change-over I can‘t see the posted photos, can you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast