Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Assmann Steel Assault Badge

Article about: Hello All, well looking around for some ex Vet stuff to buy I spotted this nice old Assmann GAB that looked as though it was in need of some TLC. It was cheap so I thought I'd buy it and giv

Default Assmann Steel Assault Badge

Hello All,
    well looking around for some ex Vet stuff to buy I spotted this nice old Assmann GAB that looked as though it was in need of some TLC.

It was cheap so I thought I'd buy it and give it a go at making it a presentable badge.

This is how it turned up:

Assmann Steel Assault BadgeAssmann Steel Assault Badge

Now I could have gone down the route of leaving it as it was but decided to do a stage one clean up to see if the badge was more fit for display so I did a bit of magic on it and this was the result:

It still looked grotty so the final touch was to lightly plate the piece (This is removable if required which would take it back to the clean stage) So this is the final display piece:

Assmann Steel Assault BadgeAssmann Steel Assault BadgeAssmann Steel Assault Badge

Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assmann Steel Assault Badge
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

How did you replate this Doug? And how is it removed?

Certainly cleaned up nice!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Does not look replated. Oxalic acid would do a good job.
    John

Some would say otherwise but I think you did the badge a favour ( just make sure the next owner realises its been restored )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I agree Doug - I think you've done the badge justice. How did you do this?
    Nick

Thanks for all the replies Men,

Plating is easy Michael just a little fine coat of zinc paste which can easily be removed using Phosphoric acid. (This doesn't attack the surface underneath)

Never used Oxalic acid John. I will have to have a look at the properties and see how I can use it.

Danmark, I don't think I'll be around when the badge is passed on to another caretaker as it is many years since I sold any of my 'accumulation' but I will make a note in my register for when the children have to dispose of my booty.

Nick, I don't get much time to restore stuff so I have to do a quick job. I know I could achieve better results if I had more time.
    I did restore a zink u boat badge a few years ago:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/resto...highlight=boat

I have just checked the link and there are no pictures. I will see if I have them on file.

So as a speedy restoration I used phosphoric acid to kill the rust and stabilise the base. Followed up by using a burnishing stick and some wooden toothpicks to knock of the debris. A very soft copper wire brush to expose the original plating. Applying the zinc paste and gently warming it up to set it then a rub with a soft stick of pine and then a final rub with a medium grade polishing cloth. All in all about 50-60 minutes of my time.

All the best
    Doug

Thanks Doug - I would be interested in seeing the U-Boat badge if you can find the pics.
    Nick

CBH
    ?

Beautiful results, thanks Doug for the step by step.
    She cleaned up nice.

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Thanks Doug - I would be interested in seeing the U-Boat badge if you can find the pics.
    Nick
    Hi Nick,
    I did find some on this computer but not the original ones that I posted so here is the sequence.

Stage 1 was the original badge...No pictures of this but as you may be able to imagine it looked like a teddy bear...very furry and discoloured down to a greyish white.

So we went on to the second stage:

Third stage was just finishing off what I started but still not looking displayable....No back picture

Assmann Steel Assault Badge

And the final stage with the colour added.

Shortly after I had done this I again popped it in to a box with the rest of the vet collection it came with never to be seen again.

It's all about the hunt for me

All the best
    Doug

I think you did the U-boat badge justice for sure - a conservative restoration - not over the top, just right IMO.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast