Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bare Helmet Shells - what were they?

Article about: I bought a bunch of black painted helmet shells from Poland in the late 1990s. I sold most, but kept four - a collection of the various wartime shells (M35,40,42). I've often wondered what t

Default Bare Helmet Shells - what were they?

I bought a bunch of black painted helmet shells from Poland in the late 1990s. I sold most, but kept four - a collection of the various wartime shells (M35,40,42). I've often wondered what these might have been before they were stripped of their wartime paint. In my review of this website and others, I see that some serial numbers might be related to certain batches of significance. If I post these numbers here, I'd appreciate any information you can give me on them, including when they were produced.

I've thought about getting them "restored" - an evil thing to many of you - but I wouldn't mind making it known that these serial numbers are from helmets which are/will be "restored" aka, fake. As a poor collector, I hope to have something sitting on my shelf which look like something I could never afford.

Can anyone recommend a good helmet "restorer"?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bare Helmet Shells - what were they?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bare Helmet Shells - what were they?

So here are my helmets:

M35 ET66 3870
    M35 ET66 4737
    M40 ET64 (illegible - too much paint)
    M42 hkp66 5691

A quick search on the Net resulted in these two:

Alexander And Sons Restorations

http://www.panzermeyerhelmets.com/consignmentitems.htm

Likely much cheaper to restore them yourself.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Do it yourself my friend. I have a thread on how to do it. I am actually working one a M35 project right now. Waiting for the primer to dry. It's a old project i have not had the time for until now. Work and a daughter came in the way. Can we get some pics? If they are not in relic condition like the ones i work with, then just leave them alone and buy some cheap relic lids. Filler and primer goes a long way.

Regards, Lars

Thanks for the advice. I have thought about restoring them myself, but am unsure if I can get the right paint. I'd be interested in your restoration advice, Lars.

The helmet shells are in excellent condition - no dents or unnatural holes, but are lacking any original paint, etc.

?

Quote by feldgrun View Post
    The helmet shells are in excellent condition - no dents or unnatural holes, but are lacking any original paint, etc.
    If they are in good condition you really should not mess with them. Do they have liners too? Could you post some pics

You should just get some relic helmets in my opinion. Like the one i am currently working on here Restoring a M35 I will hopefully apply the first coat of paint tonight.

Regards, Lars

1944Militaria sells cans of Feldgrau Dunkel (Field-grey dark) for $15.00...in case you were looking for paint!
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images Bare Helmet Shells - what were they? 

?

Anybody knows sites in the EU that sells German WW2 colors? I normally get mine in model shops.

Regards, Lars

The M35s are stripped down to bare metal, and the M40 & M42 are just painted with the postwar black. No markings, just black paint (although the M40 has some strange gold paint on the interior of the shell). No liners, pins, etc.

If they came from poland they were probably used by volunteer fire dept or civil defence in early postwar period.
    Common practice in eastern europe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast