Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?

Article about: I have read some great threads on this forum in regards to the preservation of relic ground dug helmets many of which showed amazing results. I recently purchased my first ground dug relic h

Default Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Preservation Candidate?

I have read some great threads on this forum in regards to the preservation of relic ground dug helmets many of which showed amazing results. I recently purchased my first ground dug relic helmet and wanted to get more experienced opinions on the possibility of treating this one with oxalic acid? During my research I noted that this seemed to be an option for certain types of ground dug helmets so I guess my questions is if this helmet would be a candidate for this type of treatment? I also noted the many precautions regarding the use of oxalic acid and would make sure to follow these to the letter.

The helmet is pictured below and was recovered near Frauenburg in the positions of the 205th Infantry Division. There seems to be a good amount of original paint remaining below the rust and most of the liner band is still in place. Thanks very much in any advice on this project. -Jeremy

Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?
    Last edited by LetsGo82nd; 06-27-2014 at 07:26 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle Damaged M40 Relic Helmet: Restoration Candidate?
    P
    Many

Welcome to the Forum! A battle-damaged relic helmet such as this is better left the way it is, friend...It's beyond restoration...Now it's all about Preservation...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! A battle-damaged relic helmet such as this is better left the way it is, friend...It's beyond restoration...Now it's all about Preservation...
    cheers, Glenn
    Thanks for the advice Glenn. I am certainly not against just leaving it the way it is. I also read some good threads on preservation vs restoration. It seems that a product called Renaissance Wax may be a possibility to protect from future deterioration? -Jeremy

I've heard of folks using bee's wax as well, but I've never used anything on my helmets...proper (dry) storage is essential, obviously...I'm sure some of our other members will be able to provide more preservation advice...
    cheers, Glenn

?

You can find better(or worse) helmets to restore This helmet have too much paint and patina to restore IMHO The hole will also make it harder to restore. Just find a rusty one with corrosion holes etc

Cheers!

Quote by Datrus View Post
    You can find better(or worse) helmets to restore This helmet have too much paint and patina to restore IMHO The hole will also make it harder to restore. Just find a rusty one with corrosion holes etc

Cheers!
    Thanks Datrus. So you would also recommend just leaving this one as is as well? I guess when I said restore I really meant preserve. I would just like to get this one into as stable and as original condition as possible for display. I don't intend to install a liner or take out the liner band; just want to remove any rust that can be done without damaging the original paint Thanks very much. -Jeremy

This one has actual history in that it's found on known positions etc. etc. The thought of someone "restoring" a relic such as this really pains me --- You and this poor lid will be better off in every aspect, IMO, if you just apply some Ren wax, display it nicely and just enjoy it for what it is

There's plenty of bare crappy looking shells out there, pick on one of those instead

Oh.. I see you REALLY meant "Preservation"... better fix that thread title or you'll have a whole bunch of relic collectors over you in no time

No, really... Renaissance wax is great preserving and you've got a cool relic on your hands, congrats

Quote by slados28 View Post
    This one has actual history in that it's found on known positions etc. etc. The thought of someone "restoring" a relic such as this really pains me --- You and this poor lid will be better off in every aspect, IMO, if you just apply some Ren wax, display it nicely and just enjoy it for what it is

There's plenty of bare crappy looking shells out there, pick on one of those instead
    I completely agree with you and I think I misused the term "restore" in my title and original posting. I want to display this one as the ground dug relic that it is and I love the fact that it has definitive history associated along with it. My real intention is just to find the best way to preserve this one. I noticed many examples of people using oxalic acid to remove the surface rust without damaging the original paint/decals and then coating them with the Renaissance or bees wax. This is the only type of thing I was considering. What I really like about these ground dug helmets is the story they tell and how they can be tied to a specific battle and unit. I would in no way want to damage that history. Sorry for the confusion. -Jeremy

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Oh.. I see you REALLY meant "Preservation"... better fix that thread title or you'll have a whole bunch of relic collectors over you in no time

No, really... Renaissance wax is great preserving and you've got a cool relic on your hands, congrats
    Thanks, just made the changes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast