Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet help

Article about: Thanks to another group on here i just had this bayonet id'd as a P-1856 British Artillary Bayonet. Thing is, its covered in a coat of what i think is black paint. I know nothing about weapo

Default Bayonet help

Thanks to another group on here i just had this bayonet id'd as a P-1856 British Artillary Bayonet. Thing is, its covered in a coat of what i think is black paint. I know nothing about weapons since i dont really collect them. Should i strip it, and if so, how? Or, do the experts think it should be left alone? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bayonet help
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bayonet help

I'll tell you what to be careful of....the black composition grips, being 150 years old, will crumble to bits very easily.

I wouldn't touch them.

As for the metal, others might have good ideas, but carefully applied, good quality, paint stripper might work okay.

Good luck with it....it's a scarce/valuable blade. I sold one 20 years ago for around $300.

Cheers,

Pat

Thanks Pat. Any idea why it would be painted black? I found an estate sale with a huge grouping of the families WWII items, seemed out of place.

?

I would try a little rubbing with 0000 steel wool on the metal parts and see how thick it is, Might rub right off as it doesn't look like its overly painted.

Fine steel wool often does a good job on steel, depending on the sort of paint. Good to have some 0000 around.

Re the black paint: Probably not military. Camo started to catch on in India circa 1857....the guys boiled their white uniforms in tea sometimes. But I never heard of painted blades (they'd stick in the scabbard at inconvenient moments). I'd guess someone planned to use the bayonet as a poker and didn't want to bother shining the steel.

My old bayonet had been a poker until I rescued it.

Cheers,

Pat

Quote by Jaybone View Post
    Thanks Pat. Any idea why it would be painted black? I found an estate sale with a huge grouping of the families WWII items, seemed out of place.
    Sometimes painted much later to cover rust. Not a military application, as Pat says.........

I'd use acetone to strip the paint, and not an abraisive. Be careful - you could remove
    any remaining patina, and do not touch the grip panels, as already mentioned.
    Work on small areas until it is completely gone.
    Regards,

Steve.

thanks for the info guys. Just have to decide what i am going to do. I might try to trade it for something that fits my collection more, and let the other person decide how they want to handle it. It is very cool, never thought something like that would make it into my hands, it amazes me what is out there sometimes.