Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

bayonet refurbish.. yes or no?

Article about: My first bayonet i bought is a German field bayonet.. it was 20 bucks on ebay and has no scabbard and has been wire brusshed down and coated in chrome.. it has also been sharped to a good ed

Default bayonet refurbish.. yes or no?

My first bayonet i bought is a German field bayonet.. it was 20 bucks on ebay and has no scabbard and has been wire brusshed down and coated in chrome.. it has also been sharped to a good edge

I was thinking about getting the chrom off since its chipping pretty heavily and putting a chemical blackener on it..

I did this with a 1942 Champion shot gun Ii own and it turned out great.. and would realy like to do it to this bayonet since its not realy worth a whole lot of money as is..

Dose anybody object to this matter?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement bayonet refurbish.. yes or no?
    P
    Many

jh92
    ?

Default Re: bayonet refurbish.. yes or no?

If its that bad go for it.

It will look a lot better - more like it is supposed to, "restored" by your method !

Regards,

Steve.

I'd go for it, Chrome on a knife like that is just wrong.

Reg
    ?

Its your bayonet mate! enjoy tinkering with it.

Reg

Hi,
    The bayonet is just run of the mill anyway, and as you say it has been messed with and chromed. what a sin, I would say try to bring it back to some sort of collectable and display state, you cant do any more damage to it. and it would probably look a lot better than it does now. If it was a field found relic as most of us have then leave it as is, but some fool has taken the history from it
    so do your best. and please show us the finish it is interesting.
    dave.

alright guys.. im gonna get started today.. i may end up taking it the my Grandfathers house.. im not sure how im going to get all the chrome off but we will see.. I will post before and after pics on here

Just a quick up date of what the chrome covered.. there is a faint waffen stamp on the top of the handle .. the eagle is almost gone from who ever sanded it.. but the numbers are pretty visible.. im happy with this

?

The best way to remove chromium plating is to reverse strip the chrome back off the surface of the steel, this can be done by the same method used to plate the knife in the first plate I.E. electrolysis. Automotive restoration company's supply home kits for stripping chrome off car part parts, these stripping salts remove the chromium and deposit it on to a donor copper anode, when a low voltage electric current is passed through the salt solution from the part (knife) to the copper donor rod. If you do use this method leave the bucket in a well ventilated area as most electrolytic process also separate the Oxygen and Hydrogen atoms as part of the process and thus you end up with a hydrogen enriched environment around the bucket.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

In it's chromed condition it would have been a great opening for conversation at edged weapon shows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast