Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Best defense against moths?

Article about: I have quite a few WWII uniforms in my collection. They are all U.S. uniforms, with the exception of my Luftwaffe flak tunic. The other day I saw something in my collection room that no coll

Default Best defense against moths?

I have quite a few WWII uniforms in my collection. They are all U.S. uniforms, with the exception of my Luftwaffe flak tunic. The other day I saw something in my collection room that no collector wants see, a moth!! I quickly killed the bug, but I now find my self very worried about the safety of my uniform collection. As a collector I feel it is my duty to preserve these historical items, but I fear a moth invasion may be underway

My question is this

Whats the best way to defend my collection from moths? I currently have the majority of my uniforms on hangers in my closet, and my Luftwaffe tunic on a mannequin display. I must stress that I hate the smell of moth balls, so that option is out for me. Any thoughts, and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards- Jarret

Best defense against moths?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Best defense against moths?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I use a three pronged approach.

Very light use of mothballs (I don't notice the small ever), Bounce dryer sheets and cedar chips/bags/blocks

While I have all my tunics in plastic dry cleaning bags (recycled from when I pick up my shirts), they are not sealed so provide protection only from dust as far as I'm concerned

knock on wood. Working so far
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks a ton for sharing that approach map!

Sounds like the more precautions, the better. I'm going to head out to the store tomorrow for the necessary supplies.

Best regards- Jarret

MAP
    ?

I only put the mothballs in my display cases that have my wool headgear. Not on / in uniforms

I'm sure others have better ideas.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

When I collected tunics, I would store them in good quality garment bags. They are plastic or vinyl & zipper up the middle. You can fit maybe 3-4 tunics in each. I would put moth balls in the bottom of the garment bag or in small baggies & put the bags in the pockets of tunics. Then zip up tight & leave them for a couple of weeks. After that, unzip the bag outdoors & remove remnants of mothballs. Just a slight odor remained to the tunics...nothing intrusive.
    D.