Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can i repair this relic?

Article about: I found this and would like to know if i can repair it i know its not worth much.

3mk
    ?

Default Can i repair this relic?

I found this and would like to know if i can repair it i know its not worth much.
    Attached Images Attached Images Can i repair this relic? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can i repair this relic?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Can i repair this relic?

Yes, if you don't know anyone personally then take it to a jewelry repair shop. They will be able to braze the 2 pieces back together. Of course the repair may be noticable from behind.

rgds, Ty

3mk
    ?

Thanks Kungfuty

I would solder it.....and the soldering will match colour. Brazing causes alot of heat. Much more that a soldering iron IMO.

?

Depending on the base metal, silver solder maybe your the best bet, normal lead / tin or now lead free solders will dull with time, and will so the joint will be more noticeable.
    Also as already stated don't try to braze anything like this, as the base pot metal will have a lower melting point than that of the bronze rod.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

i would not solder it because it will alter the metal colour and could damage the badge.
    i found a while ago some very rare badges unfortunately broken in 3 or 4 pieces. i restored them with a non reversible technique which anyway satisfied me: you have to buy some "liquid steel" and use some cut needles to add support on the back.the liquid steel can be worked with hands and you can make a thin support cover on the back of the badge, to keep the 2 bits together with the aid of the needles. once dried, you can reduce the layer with an abrasive paper. sorry guys for my english , i hope you got what i mean...

solder will be fine - just clean the back of the eagle to bare metal
    another way is to use jb weld on the back - works like crazy glue for metal

Please try to keep in mind that what ever it is you are trying to restore that thise is done in a way that it is and stays REVERSIBLE.
    Thise means that it can be braught back in its original condition whit -out dammaging the item more than it was!!
    In the case of 3mk's badge , I would use some simple polyester layer on the back to hold it together.
    That would give the badge a excelent look from the front, and wouldn't deny the history it went by...
    Cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris