Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Cleaning and Restoration of Medals and Awards!!

Article about: Medals and Awards This is a debated area of collecting, with one camp arguing that cleaning the medals takes away value and history, and the another saying that it is acceptable. What it rea

?

Default Cleaning and Restoration of Medals and Awards!!

Medals and Awards

This is a debated area of collecting, with one camp arguing that cleaning the medals takes away value and history, and the another saying that it is acceptable. What it really comes down is a personal decision and hopefully here you will find some information that will help you make that decision, and tips on how to clean them should you choose to do so.

"Generally speaking, DO NOT attempt to clean medals. I have seen more good medals ruined by cleaning than from any other cause and unless you have obtained expert advice or practiced on medals of little value, it is better to leave them alone. There is a difference between the tone or bloom of a medal and ordinary dirt. A beautiful tone in which many colors of the rainbow can be seen is caused by natural oxidation of the surface with the atmosphere and can take years to form. Although it may make a silver medal look much darker than when it was new, a tone can enhance the look of a medal and to clean it off reduces it in value. This is particularly true of bronze medals, which are often found with a hard smooth green coating. This is known as “patina” and on no account should this be removed. Dirt on the other hand can be removed from gold and silver medals by first soaking them in warm soapy water and then brushing with an old toothbrush.

Medals made of pure gold never corrode and should not require more than washing and brushing. Sometimes silver medals become tarnished almost black from the sulfur acids in the air. This will not normally be noticed in country districts but in London or near any large industrial area a medal may become tarnished in a very short time. The best way to remove this is by gently dabbing the surface with a piece of cotton wool soaked in 'Silver Dip’ that can be obtained from most stores. The polishing cloth sold with 'Silver Dip' should not be used as it will shine the surface and spoil the look of the medal. A 10% solution of ammonia will also remove tarnish and improve silver medals that contain copper as an alloy. When “Silver Dip” is used the medals need only be dried with cotton wool but it is advisable to thoroughly wash any medal clean with ammonia.

Medals made of copper or copper with other alloys, are the most likely to require attention at one time or another. Verdigris is the usual enemy and appears as green spots. If the area of corrosion is not great or very deep, a bone needle may be used to loosen and remove the verdigris. Badly contaminated medals should be alternately soaked in a 20% solution of sodium sesquicarbonate and worked with the bone needle.

Zinc will be frequently found and should it become necessary to improve such medals, they are best treated by immersing in a 5% solution of caustic soda containing some zinc or aluminum filings, after which they must be thoroughly washed. It is advisable to varnish the medals in order to prevent any further oxidation of the surface. This should only be done if actual damage has occurred, for sealing the medal can seal in the source of the deterioration.

Lead, tin, and iron were rarely used if ever on original medals and are normally found in conjunction with fake items.

An excellent method of removing grease from any medal is to wipe with cotton wool soaked in petrol or lighter fuel. Should a stronger action be needed, trichlorethylene may be used but only in a well ventilated room as this substance is used as an anaesthetic.

The surface of silver and copper medals can be improved by using a brush on which a spot of linseed oil has been placed."

Whatever you decide, be cautions, because the damage that can be done far outweighs the gains. Attempts to clean the award with the wrong products can result in irreversible damage; the delicate finish may come right off. Abrasives and commercial cleaners should not be used for the cleaning of awards, but if you decide to tempt fate, try it on a small piece of the badge to see its effects. Make sure to dry the medal thoroughly when done, and in the case of Iron Crosses do so with a blow dryer because water which you can not see may get in the minute crevices of the cross (and iron easily rusts).
    Last edited by Jerome; 03-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning and Restoration of Medals and Awards!!
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Cleaning and Restoration of Medals and Awards!!

Very informative post Jerome.
    SteveR

Default Re: Cleaning and Restoration of Medals and Awards!!

I recognise the book from which this text has been taken.

Cheers, Ade.

Gday everyone
    I've recently started the exciting hobby of metal detecting with coin shooting and relic hunting. I'm a New Zealander and on only my second dig I have uncovered a rather special find.
    A Prussian Warrior Merit Medal in quite good condition (unfortunately the ribbon was never with it or has long since perished). I was googling how best to clean it and stumbled on this posting. Hence my membership subscription.
    Is there a way to post pics of my find on this site?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Brendan Torr View Post
    Gday everyone
    I've recently started the exciting hobby of metal detecting with coin shooting and relic hunting. I'm a New Zealander and on only my second dig I have uncovered a rather special find.
    A Prussian Warrior Merit Medal in quite good condition (unfortunately the ribbon was never with it or has long since perished). I was googling how best to clean it and stumbled on this posting. Hence my membership subscription.
    Is there a way to post pics of my find on this site?
    Once you learn how to post photos from the link Gunny gave you, I recommend you start your own brand new thread. It should be in the section linked below

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...ustro-hungary/

You will see a green box at the near top left of the page.

Did you find this in New Zealand? Quite odd to find it on the other side of the world. That said, these were issued to troops "not in Prussian service" going back to 1835.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)