Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Difference between chin straps.

Article about: Hello, I have a ww2 m1 helmet shell. No chin straps. I'm looking to buy chinstraps and noticed on paratrooper chinstraps, there seems to be a snap. Do thes just have to be shaped on to the b

Default Difference between chin straps.

Hello, I have a ww2 m1 helmet shell. No chin straps. I'm looking to buy chinstraps and noticed on paratrooper chinstraps, there seems to be a snap. Do thes just have to be shaped on to the bales or do they have to be sewed on like regular infantry chin straps ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBE95C33-85EF-41BA-BC7C-B9BF8937AA74-22765-00001BAFF776C6AC_zpsa32368ac.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	399620

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Difference between chin straps.

( Moved your thread to the correct forum )

I'd stick to regular sew-on straps.........
    Regards,

Steve.

You will not find original paratrooper straps that are affordable, and you will not have a correct shell to put the straps on. The shell is different and cost a lot more as well. Like steve said stick to the regular straps and sew them on.
    You will even have trouble finding the original regular version for a decent price so reproductions might be the best choice.

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    You will not find original paratrooper straps that are affordable, and you will not have a correct shell to put the straps on. The shell is different and cost a lot more as well. Like steve said stick to the regular straps and sew them on.
    You will even have trouble finding the original regular version for a decent price so reproductions might be the best choice.
    Thank you. I think I will do that. But i would also like to know the difference between early, mid, and late war chinstraps? Are they different colors ? I think late war chin straps wer dark green unlike early and mid which were khaki correct ?

Yes they started in OD3 and changed to OD7 really late WWII / Korea the hardware was made with blackened brass in WWII but im not sure if that changed?

Dominick, you need to do some indepth study and research - the knowledge gained
    will help you greatly in your quest - now, and for as long as you are interested
    in the subject. The Forum contains a wealth of info on M1's, and there are
    several good books available on M1 helmets, plus some good
    websites too.........

US M1 steel helmet forum at War relics forum

M-1 Steel Helmet

Home of the M-1 Helmet

Dating the M1 Steel Helmet

Military Helmet Identification and Price Guide - MilitaryItems.com
    Regards,

Steve.

Not to bash the last site but i think they put this helmet on wrong. - Military Helmet Price Guide - MilitaryItems.com

Dominick,
    I started using WWII forums when I was about your age, so I know where you are coming from in a sense that it is easier to ask for information at a free forum like this than to buy books or take the time to search the web (which there is a ton of valid information on).
    By doing the research on your own you can obtain a more indepth knowledge and see more pictures than asking for a quick 1 minute answer about an item that has been analyzed in hundreds of books and web pages.
    You need to read up on things that interest you so you have a base of information and then start educated threads here where you can learn even more.

And to add to what others have said, your going to save yourself a ton of money and agervation by getting it right the first time.