Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dirty & partly eaten liner.

Article about: Hi guys! I bought a nice salty M40 Kriegsmarine helmet yesterday, the helmet has been hanging in the vet`s barn since he brought it back in 1945 and then it spent one month at the dealer`s b

Default Re: Dirty & partly eaten liner.

I would NOT recommend any kind of a sealer that dries!
    We have a product here that is called "Shoe Saver" silicone, that is used for protecting and sealing leather. It is clear and comes in a small bottle that has a dobber inside. My father was in the shoe repair and sale business for many years and I believe he knew what he was talking about. Products like Dubbin, and Neatsfoot Oil are more of a paste and seal the leather, but clog the pores of the leather and do not allow it to breathe, and I do not recommend them.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi Ralph

I just put a bit of Vaseline on the liner and strap and will soon go to WalMart to get some sort of sealer. So you would recommend some sort of shoe silicone? I will have to look into that as I am clueless in regards of preserving old leather

Hi Christina, i like it has it is.
    That is a beautiful Lid.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

I totally agree with you ralph but for the fact the leather is already in the stages of rotting and shoe leather is completely different to that of 65yr old liners, the pores of the leather are destroyed via rot and the actual fibre is breaking down plus you never use neatsfoot or any type of oil on a liner, it promotes rot

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    Hi Ralph

I just put a bit of Vaseline on the liner and strap and will soon go to WalMart to get some sort of sealer. So you would recommend some sort of shoe silicone? I will have to look into that as I am clueless in regards of preserving old leather

I would recommend that you wipe as much of the vaseline off as you can, it is a petroleum product and will plug up the pores of the leather. I use mink oil for some softening, but not often. Be sure that the product you get is clear and watery, this allows it to penetrate into the leather and help the fiber of the leather. It will darken the leather a little bit, but to me, this is less costly than doing nothing.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    P.S. You may have to treat it a few times before you see any results. Above all else, be gentle!
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by davejb View Post
    I totally agree with you ralph but for the fact the leather is already in the stages of rotting and shoe leather is completely different to that of 65yr old liners, the pores of the leather are destroyed via rot and the actual fibre is breaking down plus you never use neatsfoot or any type of oil on a liner, it promotes rot
    I agree Dave, but it is better than doing nothing. This product will help the fibers that are not already destroyed.
    Also, if you consider what we put our shoes through, it is not really different than 65 year old leather except for the dryness.

Guys. I am off to go shopping in a few minutes, so what should I get?

Again, I will recommend that you look for a product called "Shoe Saver" silicone. As I said, be sure that it is clear and thin, (watery). If this actual product is not available, ask for something similar. Possibly go to a shoe repair store.
    Do not purchase any kind of a paste.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.

Thank you, guys. As always, I appreciate your help and expertise. I shall post photos of "Hermann" once he has been brought back from the dead

please dont use anything on it , leave as is, its a great helmet rgds Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast