Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?

Article about: If you can remove the straps on the D rings, then you just have to bend them back into position on your 'good' helmet. That would be the easiest ! ( I had not anticipated you removing the 'D

Default Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?

Hello All,
    Let's use my M1917A1 helmet for example. Pictures are in this thread:
    Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?

I have a nice helmet here, but it's missing half of the chin strap. If I were to buy a repro chin strap(from these guys for example: http://jmurrayinc1944.com/images/pho...t%20straps.jpg) and add the strap to my helmet... would that reduce the value of my helmet? I was told on another forum it would, but I have my doubts. Thanks.

ps I didn't place this thread in helmets because I think it can apply to any item.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?

Quote by flash developer View Post
    Hello All,
    Let's use my M1917A1 helmet for example. Pictures are in this thread:
    Is this brodie a MK1 or M1917?

I have a nice helmet here, but it's missing half of the chin strap. If I were to buy a repro chin strap(from these guys for example: http://jmurrayinc1944.com/images/pho...t%20straps.jpg) and add the strap to my helmet... would that reduce the value of my helmet? I was told on another forum it would, but I have my doubts. Thanks.

ps I didn't place this thread in helmets because I think it can apply to any item.
    It would not reduce the value but it will not increase the value.
    Collectors like original stuff not played with.

Thanks Chris, that's what I figured.
    I would never try to "fool" anyone. I'll never sell my helmet but I want to display it. The half chin strap would be purely to complete my display.

I just missed an original M1917A1 chin strap on fleabay yesterday... it went for $38 US.

I would never use a repro part. To me it would hurt the value and desirability.

Cheers, Ade.

You are right Ade!
    I plead "temporary insanity". I was distraught over missing the original chin strap on fleabay... just when I thought all was lost, a member of another forum PM'ed me saying he has an original lid(with chin strap) to sell. The price is very reasonable and I'm just waiting for some pictures.

No repros for me!!

-Flash

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I would never use a repro part. To me it would hurt the value and desirability.

Cheers, Ade.
    I'm with Ade, as I'm sure many other collectors are too.
    Original period part(s) are the way to go when any
    'restoration' is done to an authentic piece.

The only exception would be if you are going to use an item
    for re-enacting, and do not want to harm or damage
    an original in any way......
    Regards,

Steve.

You're both right. Original is the only way to go.
    And... it just so happened(I'm still in shock) a very nice gentleman has offered a M1917A1, without liner... but with crown pad and original chin straps. The price is very reasonable and I like it. I'll post pictures if I get it!
    Thanks,
    -Flash

Well, good things come to those who search for original lids and parts!! Here is a M1917A1 helmet with chin strap, crown but no liner. I've purchased the helmet and now I plan to cannibalize one of my M1917A1's so I have one complete lid.
    1. Was this a good buy? It's a decent lid with crown and chin strap.
    2. What value(roughly) would you give this lid/buy? I'll tell you what I paid after I receive feedback. The deals done, and I'm very happy either way!

He didn't provide any stamping info on this item, but now I should have a very nice... and Complete!... M1917A1(and a nice second lid to keep working on...).
    What do you think?
    -Flash
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?   Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?  

Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?   Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?  

Do Repro Parts on a Original Item Hurt Value?  

$75 to $100 like this, and perhaps a bit more.......?

You will have to try and duplicate the thread and stitching
    when you replace/transfer the straps.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank Steve.
    With shipping I paid $73US. I'm pleased as all get-out
    (I really just started researching/participating in the last couple months/weeks. I've had nothing but excellent input and help in the few forums that I follow. This kind gentleman read my post and offered up this lid. I'm very grateful).

But, I'm not getting what you're saying about
    You will have to try and duplicate the thread and stitching
    when you replace/transfer the straps.
    I had planned on gently removing the straps from the new helmet and transplanting them to my old lid(and the crown too). The original chin strap that I missed on fleabay was just the straps on the bent "D" bales. I was just going to bend the bales to replace the straps...
    Can you clarify what you meant? I want to do this right.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast