Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Dry Cleaning

Article about: I was wondering if anyone has some good tips on how to safely clean a uniform. Is it safe to take a uniform to a local dry cleaning shop Thanks in advance

Default Dry Cleaning

I was wondering if anyone has some good tips on how to safely clean a uniform.
    Is it safe to take a uniform to a local dry cleaning shop

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dry Cleaning
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dry Cleaning

Here we have a dry cleaning shop called " 5 á sec", today i received a 1940 tunic that was very dirty, so i toke it there. It will be ready tomorow.
    Tomorow when i get it, i will tell if its safe.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

You need to ask if they have any experience with old textiles? Don't just let them dump a uniform in with loads of other stuff. Also try, if possible, to make sure it is done on the day they change the fluid.

I have had no problems with my local village store, but he really seems to know what he is doing. I would be wary of taking things to a busy big chain store type shop or to somewhere which just sends items out to be done.

I have had service dress and BD jackets done OK.

I have heard of one horror story where some British printed insignia was ruined.

Cheers, Ade.

?

The only thing I would add to the above is to say about early vegetable based plastic buttons, these were used during WWII by both the British and Americans on service uniforms, great care needs to be taken with these as the harsh chemicals can attack and even dissolve some of these early vegetable based plastics.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

I was told by a wardrobe mistress who dealt purely in original period costumes of all description, that dry cleaning was far too harsh, due to the chemical involved, she used a hand steamer designed for the cleaning of costumes, but she said that extra care should be taken with uniforms for the very reason that Nige has pointed out , even when steam cleaning

Unless the uniform in question is horribly wretched looking and smells bad I would not do it. I have an NCO uniform that had bad pit smells. Apparently, someone wore it in the Summer before I purchased it. I put it in the tub and very gently cleaned the pits with a weak Woolite solution and only in the spots needed. It smells fine now and looks good. I would NEVER trust something like this to a dry cleaner. Just my input. NH

Hi, forgot to post the results, too much on my mind lately.
    A few days ago i went to pick up my uniform at the dry cleaner, and the results are superb, not damaged, and the horrid smell and dirt is long gone.
    The service was very professional, they know what they are doing.
    Fantastic job.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Thank you everyone for your input. I decided to steam the uniform and the result is just right. My intention was not to get rid of some of the stains, they dont smell and are part of the "history". The uniform is a little frail and wouldn't want to risk dry cleaning even though some of you had good experiences.

Thanks again