Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dug up in Arromaches

Article about: Hello everyone! Just joined the forum and decided to show you all my first restoration job! This was (along with a couple other helmets I plan to do) dug up near Arromaches, the site of the

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Because an item such as this has a historical context. This helmet can be associated with a particular time and place. Therefore it can be argued that it is more historically important than a similar relic that has popped up on ebay with no more provenance or context than "this was found in Russia" or similar. Unfortunately by that point, it has lost it's location specific history As has been said, it is totally up to you what you do with it. But personally if I had proof that an item such as this came from a certain location I would leave it be as a fine historical artifact in it's own right and go and purchase a random one from the internet. Also looking at it, I bet you could find a better relic candidate for restoration Cheers.
    Couldn't have said it better.

No one is having a crack at you mate, just expressing an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dug up in Arromaches
    P
    Many

Don't worry, I've got a thicker skin than that So looking at it from a bit of a larger perspective, would you say the same for a vehicle? Or just for the more 'personal' items?

Mate, I think if you can definitely place an item of any description to a particular place in history then surely it is worth preserving the way it is. If you've just picked something up from a market or fair and it has no traceable history, it could have come from anywhere then surely it is less valuable. Just my opinion but I think it will be shared by others.

Hm, So more like this M35? I picked it up in a flea market in Berlin and all the identifying marks have been removed.

Dug up in Arromaches

Without even any paint left, I would say you are free to dress'er up any way you like!

I would say that if you wanted to do a restoration, that one is a far better bet

?

Theressunrising it isn't black and white on what you can or should restore. Sometimes a restoration ruins an object example a colt pistol would be ruined if it was restored,but on the other hand a Japanese sword if its a good blade and made by a good sword smith would increase the value.. Gary

?

Quote by theredsunrising View Post
    So looking at it from a bit of a larger perspective, would you say the same for a vehicle? Or just for the more 'personal' items?
    I would say the same with a vehicle. I've also had a long interest in old motorcycles, where the tendency has long been to repaint, re-plate and polish until they look 'better' than new. In more recent years there has been a growing appreciation of the patina of age and more people trying to restore with a gentle touch leaving as much of the original finish as possible. I suppose that, as time goes on, what was once commonplace, becomes a rarer and rarer sight, meaning that instead of simply being shabby and worn, an old vehicle or any artifact acquires a mystique that is lost by 'restoration'. Its an interesting topic to ponder on.

Regards, Philip

The logic that I follow, and please feel free to argue otherwise, is that every helmet I find I try to track down its history. That gives me a very clear idea as to what that helmet would have looked like at that time. If it was found at a flea market or from a 3rd party without any identifiable marking then that gives me a little more flexibility as to what I can do with it. Obviously I'm not gonna give a helmet found in Denmark a DAK finish, but you get my point. A helmet like the first one I posted with a clear 'paper' trail, I can restore to how it would have looked at that time for that unit, as opposed to making it an SS medic helmet for example.

Quote by theredsunrising View Post
    Hello everyone! Just joined the forum and decided to show you all my first restoration job! This was (along with a couple other helmets I plan to do) dug up near Arromaches, the site of the Mulberry harbours. I believe it was part of the 352nd Infantry division's zone, so I think a field gray no decal goal would be the most accurate. Feedback is most welcome and I will keep you all appraised of my progress.
    Attachment 789455
    Attachment 789456
    Attachment 789457
    Liner bolts and part of the liner were probably present and have been removed. You can see where they were and the rust has not attacked the metal underneath wear the rivets were.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast