MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Framed set of WW1 French medals restored.

Article about: I recently purchased a set of framed medals at the Liverpool arms fair, and they were in a terrible state. The ribbons were completely rotten, stained with glue and faded. The certificate ha

Default Framed set of WW1 French medals restored.

I recently purchased a set of framed medals at the Liverpool arms fair, and they were in a terrible state. The ribbons were completely rotten, stained with glue and faded. The certificate had patches of paper torn away where someone had tried to re-mount the medals using a combination of epoxy and blue-tack. The frame was in a terrible state. Most of the walnut veneer was completely missing, and the top of the frame had patches of rot which had been crudely filled in.

I started by stripping what was left of the original veneer and replaced with new strips. The whole frame was then treated to a few light coats of French polish and a liberal coating of beeswax polish

Framed set of WW1 French medals restored.Framed set of WW1 French medals restored.

The next step was to cut two pieces of thin plywood to mount the medals and replacement ribbons. The certificate was then mounted to a sheet of Birch plywood and the mounted medals were re-attached. The end result was a much improved framed set of medals. I didn't have a clue which order the medals should hang, and Didier (Bichon) kindly supplied me with the required information.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Framed set of WW1 French medals restored.
    P
    Many

Excellent job.

Somewhere, an old 'Poilu' says "thanks, mon frere".

Well done on a nice little restoration project!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Excellent job done here I think that will display great in any War Room.. Cheers Terry.

Looks just fine, like it must have originally looked. Good careful work!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Nice save......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Fantastic Job Harry! 1000% better looking

?

I have several of these sets, including a couple with the same frame and with the same card - always prefer to put names to artefacts and such a shame French medals were not named, so this is the only way to get this history - superb restoration job and some inspiration to do a couple of mine - nice to have the wounded medal with the mention in the inscription too

Here's my most recent one Framed set of WW1 French medals restored.

Yes he was a balloonist!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast