Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

German m35

Article about: Hi got this from a junk shop with genuine liner the guy who sold it said the guy he got it from done it up!!!! i have rubbed an rea with autsol and removed a top layer to find a nice dark gr

?

Default Re: German m35

Youve got to be careful not to strip too deep or youll remove the underlying paint as well. What are you using to strip it with

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

autosol and elbow grease there are bare metal bits here and there

?

Autosol is a metal polish, the worst thing you could use, you need to use a paint remover that you can add and guage the amount of paint that is being removed, your trying to remove only the top layer to get to the other colour beneath, one of the best things to use is acetone at least until your able to see if there is paint removal, if not go to a proper paint remover but you need to contantly add and remove the stripper with water as this neutralises the effects, do not use any abrasive product

Did use paint stripper but bubbled up and really melted through i did try at differnt stages im not so concerned as im questioning the paint i have found now.When i use the autosol i rub untill i just see the colour underneath then with a clean rag rub like crazy the paint under is very shiny unfortunately some bare metal parts are a bit shiny!

i once used very very fine grinding paper ((schleifpapier) the one one uses with water) to remove a modern silver spraypaint from an old swiss helmet,. it worked out very efective, althrough one has to be careful to not expose the underlying metal. i fear paint removers or acetone, because they could affect also the underlying paint that i wanna keep... Only my humble opinion..
    eritis sicut deus, scientes bonum et malum...

Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and just strip the entire shell now, exposed metal and bits of dubious paints here and there will be no good. I'd be looking to start again and mock up a helmet with some correct colors, decals and camo or netting etc, just have fun with it!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and just strip the entire shell now, exposed metal and bits of dubious paints here and there will be no good. I'd be looking to start again and mock up a helmet with some correct colors, decals and camo or netting etc, just have fun with it!

I, for example, would remove all of the dubious paint, keep the original one- and leave the exposed shiny metal to oxidize with time, when it´s not shiny anymore it might even contribute to make the helmet look older, some light rust or oxide is no shame on a steel helmet. Maybe you can rub some salt on the exposed- metal wounds to accelerate the de-shine process.. I did that once on a german Polizei helmet that was paint-stripped and after that looked like fresh from the oven... Now artificially "Aged", it looks so much better...
    eritis sicut deus, scientes bonum et malum...

I would use acetone personally I use it to uncover my US helmets that have been repainted and it works good. All you have to do is use a little of it at a time but do whatever you want to use on it. - Nick K

I agree with the other guys in all they said but if you dont strip it fully i'd be letting the exposed areas rust which can be speeded up numerous ways, look forward to an update.

Phill

Here is a photo of a partially stripped shell, done with acetone.
    Original paint and most of the decal was left intact........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4213488.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	248845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4223500.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	248846  

Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast