Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

German M40 ET66 Restoration

Article about: Hey All! Well here is the start of my latest restoration project. It is a German M40 ET66 lot no. 209. I intend to restore it as a single decal SS helmet with slate grey paint and textured f

Quote by seandm View Post
    Hey all! It looks like I won't have the helmet finished until tomorrow, But here is some progress. Again pics are in order. The paint is sprayed on heavily then aluminium oxide is sprinkled on to the wet paint by hand. Then I repeat this process multiple times with multiple coats of paint until the shell has an even coating. I know the texture looks heavier than wartime produced lids but considering it is done by hand with spray can, I think I could do worse lol. Also paint is not gloss but matte, Pics were taken immediately after heavy spraying of paint. Cheers, Sean.

Attachment 696825Attachment 696827Attachment 696828Attachment 696829Attachment 696831Attachment 696832Attachment 696833Attachment 696834Attachment 696835Attachment 696837Attachment 696838Attachment 696839

Quick question to the members of the forum; I was thinking about restoring my M35, applying aluminum oxide an double decal (heer). Is that historically correct ? If yes would you apply decals over aluminium oxide or before, and apply aluminium oxide around the decals ?

Cheers and please help......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M40 ET66 Restoration
    P
    Many

?

You have several options but a textured double decal Heer isn't one of them unless it's a reissue or field paint in which case you cover or remove the tricolor. A factory reissue means you could give the helmet a textured finish prior to applying the adler decal only. A field or factory repaint and you could also paint around the decal with brush applied textured paint. Masking an option as you see fit to achieve the desired effect. A lot of reissued helmets show the base early war color visible around the decal.

Quote by NZEF2 View Post
    You have several options but a textured double decal Heer isn't one of them unless it's a reissue or field paint in which case you cover or remove the tricolor. A factory reissue means you could give the helmet a textured finish prior to applying the adler decal only. A field or factory repaint and you could also paint around the decal with brush applied textured paint. Masking an option as you see fit to achieve the desired effect. A lot of reissued helmets show the base early war color visible around the decal.
    So start with apple green color, double decal...... after that reapply the texture paint with brush around the decals with brush?? Is the reapplied paint also apple green?

?

Quote by JohnyWoo View Post
    So start with apple green color, double decal...... after that reapply the texture paint with brush around the decals with brush?? Is the reapplied paint also apple green?
    RAL 6006 would be the correct color. You could mask the decal and scatter the texture onto freshly sprayed paint, then another coat to seal. Direct paint brushing with textured paint can be tricky and you're more likely to get the desired result this way. You could get clever and mask bits of the tricolor allowing it to peek through.

Quote by NZEF2 View Post
    RAL 6006 would be the correct color. You could mask the decal and scatter the texture onto freshly sprayed paint, then another coat to seal. Direct paint brushing with textured paint can be tricky and you're more likely to get the desired result this way. You could get clever and mask bits of the tricolor allowing it to peek through.
    Is RAL6006 same as feldgrau dunkel? Also, i would paint over the national color decal but leave the heer eagle uncovered right? Or apply the heer eagle over the textured paint like you mentioned before...... that would be tricky.

?

Brush applied look. I use hair spray in between applying the helmet base color and adding acrylic camo effects which allows you to soften in water and chip the paint without harming the base.

?

Quote by JohnyWoo View Post
    Is RAL6006 same as feldgrau dunkel? Also, i would paint over the national color decal but leave the heer eagle uncovered right? Or apply the heer eagle over the textured paint like you mentioned before...... that would be tricky.
    Yes that's the correct color. Whatever you do the tricolor will be covered. If you decide to texture the whole helmet I use decal agents to relax them into the texture. The microscale system works well, you'll need microset under and microsol on top to soften your decal.

Quote by NZEF2 View Post
    Yes that's the correct color. Whatever you do the tricolor will be covered. If you decide to texture the whole helmet I use decal agents to relax them into the texture. The microscale system works well, you'll need microset under and microsol on top to soften your decal.

wow that's a lot of information at once........ I'll have to do some research before I'll proceed with my project. Thanks A lot NZEF2, ill stay in touch!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3