Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German M40 restoration

Article about: Hello, I purchased a set of dug-up battlefield helmets not so long ago. They were really rusted so I decided to clean the one that was in a worse condition in some oxalic acid. There wasn't

?

Default German M40 restoration

Hello,
    I purchased a set of dug-up battlefield helmets not so long ago.
    They were really rusted so I decided to clean the one that was in a worse condition in some oxalic acid.
    There wasn't much paint left and the top of the helmet had few rusted through holes and a bit of the back was chipped off/ missing.
    After, the only thing I found inside the helmet were the numbers 293.
    German M40 restorationGerman M40 restoration
    So I decided to restore it only because it wasn't in really good condition to start with (Air vents nearly gone, etc).

I used an anti-rust paint to coat the helmet and to stop further corrosion and oxidization of the metal.

Then I patched the rusted through parts of the helmet with fibreglass and put on another coat of paint.
    German M40 restorationGerman M40 restorationGerman M40 restoration

When it was dry, it was time for the filler.

I started off with a rough coat of filler to patch any major holes and pits on the surface of the helmet and then i sanded it down using an oscillating multi tool as it allowed for a flat sanding pattern.
    After that followed a smoothing coat which would patch any smaller pits in the filler and would create a smooth helmet surface.
    It took about 4 tries with the smoothing filler until a satisfactory look was achieved.

Because the air vents had almost rusted away completely, I made some replacement ones out of resin.

I first made a wax model similar to one of the air vents and created a mould of it.
    German M40 restoration
    Then I used resin to cast a new air vent and after some minor sanding and buffing, I stuck it on to the helmet.
    Eventually I painted the helmet with a silver paint and then followed with a coat of woodland grey which is probably the closest colour I could get without having a specially made paint.
    I also textured the helmet using sand (I know they originally used aluminium oxide but I didn't have any).

Please let me know what you think and how i could try to maybe age it, etc.
    I still have to work on the inside of the helmet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M40 restoration
    P
    Many

Looks good ,

You've done a heap of work to get it looking like this so I admire your persistence- but I'm a relic man and personally would have left it as it was.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Seemed a shame to cover it in sand , after you had made such a good job of smoothing it out and making those vents. Could of stuck a decal on the side and had a restored helmet as it would of been fresh from the factory .

Amazing process but it is somewhat unfortunately a reversal or history... upsetting the time space continuum? ;-)

Good work, almost like craftsmanship!!!

gute Arbeit