Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German ww2 helmet restoring

Article about: Hi War relics, I am new to this forum and I would like to ask how I can properly restore a german ww2 helmet? The one i'm eyeing is in alright condition, some rust spots here and there, ligh

Default German ww2 helmet restoring

Hi War relics, I am new to this forum and I would like to ask how I can properly restore a german ww2 helmet? The one i'm eyeing is in alright condition, some rust spots here and there, light cratering surface and just the shell. There are no decals on it at all. I was doing some research and i read that the germans used aluminum oxide powder for a finish on their late war helmets, which i am getting and planning on doing an accurate restoration. I've done US m1 helmets with the cork finish and that's pretty easy to do but there seems to be more steps on getting it right. I read that you could use filler primer to fill in any "craters" and or imperfections. For the color, i'd like to do a dark gray, i can get the color made at a hardware store since they can make any color in their station, but applying the aluminum oxide may be a bit tricky. So what is a good way to restore my helmet with the aluminum oxide power finish?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German ww2 helmet restoring
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

Welcome to the forum. If you type 'helmet restoration' in the search box at the to right of this page a lot of useful threads appear that will give you lots of information. Do you have any photos?

Rgd's, Mark.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Here's an example of the "cratering" this is the helmet i have my eyes on mainly.

I personally would leave it as it is, although I can't see the pictures as Imgur is blocked for me.

Visual Guide to Upload Photos

If its as you describe a coat of renaissance wax and leave it as it is? - That's my opinion anyway!
    "Per Ardua"

mpw
    ?

Having seen the image I agree with the above. Best left as is.

Here is the image......

German ww2 helmet restoring

It is a relic and not a good candidate for restoration. Leave it as is. And rather than trying to restore a helmet, save your bucks and look for one in presentable condition. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    It is a relic and not a good candidate for restoration. Leave it as is. And rather than trying to restore a helmet, save your bucks and look for one in presentable condition. NH
    Agreed!...

Or buy it as a relic, treat it to preserve it and enjoy it for what it is.
    A relic helmet will never look good after a restoration, and the whole appeal of a relic is its 'straight from the battlefield' appearance. I have two in far worse condition than this, and display them 'as found.'

Either way, welcome aboard!

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Or buy it as a relic, treat it to preserve it and enjoy it for what it is.
    A relic helmet will never look good after a restoration, and the whole appeal of a relic is its 'straight from the battlefield' appearance. I have two in far worse condition than this, and display them 'as found.'

Either way, welcome aboard!

B.B.
    I know but I just want to make the goal of restoring one of those, I was just worried it will rust away over time and disintegrate (look at 1/2 of the helmet listings on ebay) I just wanted to preserve some history and make it look like it was fresh from the factory is all. I'm great with restoring helmets. I restored some m1 helmets (one a danish m48) into a ww2 US cork finish made for a friend of mine who is a vet and I got the texturing right along with the paint. I then saw that german helmets had the aluminum oxide texture on them and it made them look so cool and I wanted to make a goal of restoring the shell to the point where it was from the factory. I am a collector of a variety of military items ranging from WW1-modern and I know how to take great care of such items. I do respect everyone's opinions regarding german helmets but I just wanted to do a fun project, trust me I WILL practice before doing so, i'm not some mong who just get some grey paint from the store and say "its done" and sloppily add decals on the side. If you'd like I can even post a pic when it's all done. However if I DID get one with decals, that's a definite no. I am glad I joined this forum so I can gain more knowledge on international military relics from the past.

Quote by rustles View Post
    I know but I just want to make the goal of restoring one of those, I was just worried it will rust away over time and disintegrate (look at 1/2 of the helmet listings on ebay) I just wanted to preserve some history and make it look like it was fresh from the factory is all. I'm great with restoring helmets. I restored some m1 helmets (one a danish m48) into a ww2 US cork finish made for a friend of mine who is a vet and I got the texturing right along with the paint. I then saw that german helmets had the aluminum oxide texture on them and it made them look so cool and I wanted to make a goal of restoring the shell to the point where it was from the factory. I am a collector of a variety of military items ranging from WW1-modern and I know how to take great care of such items. I do respect everyone's opinions regarding german helmets but I just wanted to do a fun project, trust me I WILL practice before doing so, i'm not some mong who just get some grey paint from the store and say "its done" and sloppily add decals on the side. If you'd like I can even post a pic when it's all done. However if I DID get one with decals, that's a definite no. I am glad I joined this forum so I can gain more knowledge on international military relics from the past.
    Yes well this forum section is about collecting the real thing , they are cool all of themselves. There is a forum section here where you can talk with likeminded restorers , I think that would be the place to go for such a topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast