Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???

Article about: Hi, I am posting better pics of a helmet I got from the Narva area. I posted pics of this helmet couple weeks ago. There was a reply in the thread that the "green" color of this he

Default Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???

Hi, I am posting better pics of a helmet I got from the Narva area.

I posted pics of this helmet couple weeks ago. There was a reply in the thread that the "green" color of this helmet was caused by an unprofessional cleaning with oxalic acid. I responded, and also posted more pics of the helmet, but the thread just stopped, with no more opinions of the unprofessional cleaning color change.
    So I do not know know if the statement was a joke, or a final verdict on this helmet.

I hope these photos are good enough to see the colors more accurately. My opinion of this helmet, is that it has not been cleaned, and was originally a green helmet. What color green I do not know. And It may not be "mumarrassee?" green, I am not an expert on German helmet colors, but the helmet looks to be green originally.

The interior protected areas are clearly green, and at least to me, the original coat of paint. I would think the outside shell after 65+ years in the ground might look like it does now, and was not caused by improper cleaning.

What do you think? improperly cleaned, or they way the helmet came out of the ground?

Thanks. Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???   Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???  

Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???   Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???

Hi Steve,

I think it is a good relic example of an Heer M40.

As to the cleaning, it looks as though the outside has had a bit of a clean, but in my opinion, just a good heavy scrubbing to remove the dirt etc.

I don't think it has been oxalic cleaned, well certainly not submerged, as the inside is quite untouched with plenty of nice corrosion/rust present.

I like it very much

Cheers,

Grant

Steve , i agree with Grant , very nice relic lid , i think it has been carefuly cleaned , not over done or treated with acid , at a guess with a brush may be soapy water , cheers Raymond

Hi Steve

The exterior of the helmet has been cleaned, the inside has not. I wouldn't say it's done poorly, there's actually very little you can do with a helmet like this to improve it's condition...

Greetz

Nick VR

Quote by Nick VR View Post
    Hi Steve

The exterior of the helmet has been cleaned, the inside has not. I wouldn't say it's done poorly, there's actually very little you can do with a helmet like this to improve it's condition...

Greetz

Nick VR
    Hello Nick, Grant and Raymond, I also agree with what you all have said. The outside has obviously been cleaned. Probably like you said, and like I thought also, with a stiff brush and light soapy water, or just water maybe. I would use a toothbrush around the decal carefully, and it looks like whoever did clean the outside, did it fairly careful. The inside still has roots and debris in it and appears to not have been touched or cleaned much. The helmet was originally green. I am leaving it exactly like it is.

When Dimas said that it had been unprofessionally cleaned, we were on the subject of green helmets and some special mumaarrse? green color, used specially in certain areas. The statement of improper cleaning, was pertaining to why this helmet is the green color it is. At least that is the way I interpreted the the statement. I responded with better pics, and new specific questions and comments, but the thread died. I guess no one wants to talk about this helmet any more. Maybe this is a banned camo helmet I was hoping for Dimas, and other members who consider themselves experts, to see these new pics of my helmet in this thread, and carry on the discussion.

Here is the link to the dead "camo" thread, ( hey that ryhmes ) if you want to look and see where it went, and where it stopped:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...helmet-8438-2/

I am trying to learn about helmets, ground finds, colors of helmets and info. I have heard of apple, and another green? the Germans had used, and now this and this "mumaarrse" ? green".

Maybe these new big, much clearer pictures of my helmet in this new post, will be better for judgement of this helmet. Either way, if i get more info or not, this is one of my favorite items I have ever acquired for my collection.

Thanks for the replies & opinions,
    Regards, Steve

Steve,

I have had a pop at trying to improve rough helmets. I am now not going to do any more than a scrub with soap and water then a bit of oil if its rusty. I just don't have the expertize required, better not to make anything worse. Its enough to prevent any further deterioration. Nice M42.

Jock

Im no expert on lids but i thought id add my opinion anyway.

First off, very nice relic M40. It looks as though it has been roughly cleaned with soapy water and possibly a steel brush as previously stated buy others.

As far as maintaining it and preventing further deterioration or rust, Jock mentioned oil witch is very affective.

Coming from a background of collecting Nihonto(antique japanese swords) i would advise against non-organic oils or vegetable based oils. Common vegetable oil quickly goes rancid when exposed to the air and can severely discolor metals such as steel and iron.

The best bet if you chose to use oil for preserving the lid and preventing rust and further deterioration is Choji oil (Clove oil) however if you can not find clove oil i suggest Kurobara (camellia oil). Just my 2 cents. -

Darren.

Quote by Seibei View Post
    Im no expert on lids but i thought id add my opinion anyway.

First off, very nice relic M40. It looks as though it has been roughly cleaned with soapy water and possibly a steel brush as previously stated buy others.

As far as maintaining it and preventing further deterioration or rust, Jock mentioned oil witch is very affective.

Coming from a background of collecting Nihonto(antique japanese swords) i would advise against non-organic oils or vegetable based oils. Common vegetable oil quickly goes rancid when exposed to the air and can severely discolor metals such as steel and iron.

The best bet if you chose to use oil for preserving the lid and preventing rust and further deterioration is Choji oil (Clove oil) however if you can not find clove oil i suggest Kurobara (camellia oil). Just my 2 cents. -

Darren.
    Hello Darren, thanks for the two cents worth, good info, and knew those oils might be be best IF, I was going to oil it, which I am not....But I do have a ground found Japanese helmet also, that I was thinking maybe to try a small spot on the inside and see how clove oil would look, and work. If you look at my threads I have started, you can see the Ground found Japanese helmet.

I also am a Nihonto study/collector of sorts. Novice but know a bit on Japanese WW2 swords. I have a '44 dated shin-gunto for a long time. It is signed on both sides of tang, and also has painted kanji under handle. A Professor of Nihonto in Northern California, a society of Nihonto or something, you might have heard of, told me it is a half machine made blade, and then it was finished by a sword smith. He also said it is dated 1944, and gave me the translations. Maybe will post sometime, but Japanese does not seem to be too popular here.

Thanks, Regards, Steve

Hey Kilroy,

Sounds like you have a very interesting shin gunto, I would love to hear more about, pleas do start a thread on it if you have the time.

I collect Imperial Japanese militaria and relics only, in time i may venture towards german relics but Japanese history and militaria is what i know and am passionate about.

You have 2 pieces i have wanted since i stared collecting, the imperial army helmet (tetsubo) and an imperial army officers sword ( Shin-gunto ).

Shin gunto were not traditionally made, in fact the greater percentage of them were machine made. There were a small number of handmade swords but they were not made using traditional methods, gendaito however were but are increasingly rare and quite valuable. Rarer still are the Nihonto that was sometimes used in shin gunto mounts. Ive only seen one in person and tried to buy it but the owner would not part with it, understandable really.

As to my knowledge it is quite rare to find one that was machine made and then finished by hand, especially around the date of yours, would be interesting to find out more and see some pics.

Cheers-

Darren

Hi All,
    Just like jock auld stated, this helmet is not an M40. It is an M42. M35 and M40 lids had rolled edges. This helmet does not have rolled edges and the skirt is slightly flared.
    Just wanted to clarify that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast