Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Heer M42 helmet project

Article about: In Ken N.'s book he shows his ET74 helmet that has been welded back together. Perhaps this was a wartime modification? Either way, good luck on the restoration! Can you read the factory stam

Default Heer M42 helmet project

G'day i bought this shell awhile ago and have decided to restoreit.
    It had some major damage and someone has done a really good job welding it back together so hopefully i can finish the job.

Cheers Phill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer M42 helmet project   Heer M42 helmet project  

Heer M42 helmet project  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M42 helmet project
    P
    Many

Default re: Heer M42 helmet project

Look foward to what you do with it Mate. Post some pics of your progress.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Theres some pretty deep pits in that lid Phil, will you be stripping all old paint off then filling and smoothing before painting, as thats the only way i can see to end up with a good finish, special attention to be paid to the welded area as this will need flattening and reshaping to the dome effect, but it looks like a good project for winter days and nights

Heer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectThese pics show the lid completely stripped back and some filler applied to the damaged areas.

Cheers Eric Will do

Cheers Dave, I'm onto it mate, spent a bit of time in a smash repair shop when i was a teenager

Hi Phill we call the putty Bondo in the U.S I also did some auto body as a younger man wish you luck on it.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks mate, we call it Bog.

Phill

?

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Cheers Dave, I'm onto it mate, spent a bit of time in a smash repair shop when i was a teenager
    Know what you mean, been there, used to work for an abrasives company, had to learn how to use all types of abrasives, sandpaper , wet and dry etc, to get the best results on all types of surfaces, especially fillers, putty, bondo, p38, milliput etc, restored and reconditioned over 70 helmets of all descriptions and aged them as well not for resale i might add

Awesome Now youv'e let the Cat outta the bag i'll be hassling you for advice, i've done a couple with mixed results i tend to get a little impatient towards the end and rush, but this one i'm in no hurry at all, and i've sold a couple but never decieved anyone as to what they were getting.
    I hope you'll be keen to give me some tips on ageing as i think that is what makes all the difference.

Phill

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast