Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet Restoration

Article about: Hello everyone. Tomorrow i will start the process of restoring an NS68 german m42 helmet. I have removed all of the rust and most of the postwar paint. Does anyone have any advice. I plan on

Default Helmet Restoration

Hello everyone. Tomorrow i will start the process of restoring an NS68 german m42 helmet. I have removed all of the rust and most of the postwar paint. Does anyone have any advice. I plan on doing this one no decal and textured fieldgrey. I will post pics of my work tomorrow. any and all advice is greatly aprreciated Thanks, Justin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet Restoration
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Helmet Restoration

Hello Justin, how have you removed the post war paint and what did you find underneath, i ask this because you dont want to ruin any original paint under the post war

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hello Justin, how have you removed the post war paint and what did you find underneath, i ask this because you dont want to ruin any original paint under the post war
    Have you ever bought one of those black helmets from E-bay and tryed to remove that black paint.
    Or has anyone done that.

all the original paint was gone. the person i bought it off of stripped all the black paint and what was underneath it and repainted it a strange grey color and added two very bad SS decals.

I bought a black M40 that was found in a barn in Maine. It had the original chinstrap, liner, and heer decal underneath the black paint.

I have used 1944 Militaria's feldgrau dunkel paint on my restoration project and I'm very satisfied with it. I don't know where to get aluminum oxide from though. I got a liner from At the Front - Home

?

Aluminum oxide is what they use in abrasives so if you have a local firm that makes sand paper grit paper etc, see if they can supply you with some, fine or medium only, the course grit is too heavy, Justin pm me

?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Have you ever bought one of those black helmets from E-bay and tryed to remove that black paint.
    Or has anyone done that.
    ye i have restored alot of the czech black lids from ebay and only one still had traces of original camo tan and green under the black paint but most of it was sandblasted off

I stripped a black Czech M42 and found traces of the original green paint and bare metal wear marks underneath - sure it is smooth from the sandblasting but I like the salty look.