Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help in the restoration of a Jager zu Pferde helmet shell

Article about: by Georg As I check it in the sun light-under the wappen there is a “27” and inside center it is marked “C. E. Junker” and “1916”. Georg, I have placed your photo here, my Cuirassier Helmet

?

Default Help in the restoration of a Jager zu Pferde helmet shell

I got this Jager zu Pferde helmet shell, off of e-bay.It is rusty but not in too bad of shape rusty (a couple of small dents).

I would like to restore it for my small collection. Could anyone give me any suggestions on how to remove the rust (on the outside).

I have heard that Evapo-Rust Rust Remover work pretty good, could I use it on the wrappen ?

For some reason ,I can’t upload any photos(I think that my File Upload Manager is full- got 172 photos and can’t delete them). Please check below for photos:

mini-0708_6379-1.jpg picture by eightball2011 - Photobucket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help in the restoration of a Jager zu Pferde helmet shell

So all went well, you finaly got him!!
    I do encouter some problems as well with the photo up-load of the forum, but I can't help you on thise problem, just hope Dimas reads thise!!
    The link to the picture does work, but it would be easyer when you copy and paste the "(IMG)" code under the picture.
    I would not use any chemical stuff on thise helmet and go for the tip I offered you in the previous thread (fine steel wool and make circulare moves). It was also confirmed by Oradour.
    Thrust me , I am profesionaly into restorations for nearly 30 years, I am familiar with chemicals for restorations, but would not use any on thise project.Also beware to keep the original colors on the inside of the helmet!!!
    It is quiet a job, but you will appreciate the result.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

It's nice-I wouldn't touch it. Stuka knows the deal.

Georg, Steve/Oradour is The Man on these. Like he said,clean that rust off and blacken the steel outside and you should have an Excellent piece when you're done. I would hope that you'll post pics of it when you're done! Have you got a line on a spike and strap replacement? William

Georg, a fantastic buy ! very envious ! you can see the original colour under the wappen, I would lightly clean the inside, by that I simply mean wipe with a cloth to remove dirt, leave the interior alone, the liner will be fragile ! and do as stuka f states. It is a size 57 as indicated by the stamping on the rear rim...also look at the cockade mounts, (the M91 mounts), there may be some Regimental stamps below them....according to regulations the cockades for this helmet would of been the large Cuirassier type , but due to wartime shortages many were fitted with smaller standard Pickelhaube cockades, they will be easier to find than the spike, although similiar to the M15 Pickelhaube, the J-z-P spike was 11mm taller, difficult to find but not impossible ! see badly focused photo ! (you will get the idea).....an M15 chinstrap can be used, (phosphated grey fittings).
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  

Georg, I have taken the liberty of saving your photographs for this thread. Also check inside at the point where the spike base is fitted, there should be a manufacturers name and date stamped into the shell or a tag affixed to two of the mount bolts. Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell  Help in the restoration of a  Jager zu Pferde helmet shell 

Gents, here is the link to Georg's original thread on this helmet. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...05/#post319852
    Prost ! Steve.

?

I agree , very fine steel wool OO guage at least but personally i would also add a lubrication, either a fine T cut or a vegetable oil that will help slide the wool over evenly, ive found that liquid stove blacking is very useful when restoring items of this colour, initially it will dull the paint down but using a soft shoe brush and then a cloth will bring out the shine to your prefered requirement

Great looking helmet! Good luck!

?

As I check it in the sun light-under the wappen there is a “27” and inside center it is marked “C. E. Junker” and “1916”.

0709_6396.jpg picture by eightball2011 - Photobucket

William-no I don’t have a line on parts, will just have to keep my eyes open.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast