Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help with restoring an INDUSTRIAL DAMAGED M40 Luftschutz.

Article about: i can not believe the carelessness of the us postal service these days! Not long ago i ordered a new Blackberry storm 2 (\\$350) and i watched the delivery guy TOSS the box on to my porch from

Default Re: Help with restoring an INDUSTRIAL DAMAGED M40 Luftschutz.

Sorry Phil, I sent this helmet out to be worked on. I'm all thumbs!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with restoring an INDUSTRIAL DAMAGED M40 Luftschutz.
    P
    Many

Poor helmet!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Sorry Phil, I sent this helmet out to be worked on. I'm all thumbs!
    Can't wait to see what you get back, Shouldn't be that hard to get it looking good, be sure and keep us updated Mate.

I actually got the helmet back a while ago.

The person doing the restoration stripped the black paint. He is convinced that the gray/green paint and decals are authentic, so we kept them as such. I've gotten mixed comments on this lid on the forums... some people think the decals and gray/green paint are authentic, others think that this helmet is is a run of the mill luftschutz that someone messed with.

UNFORTUNATELY, the U.S. Postal Service damaged this helmet even more in transit. (to be honest, this lid was already messed up to begin with, and I'm sure it's inferior quality steel along with the industrial damage made it more prone to additional damage... if anything, my students will appreciate this "battle damaged helmet" ... so I'm not too upset.)

Seems like a cursed lid

Well at least it has it's own modern day history now! I'd be inclined to agree with the latter though if anything i think the darker blue under the green is more likely to be original and someone has painted it green and added yhe decals to look like a combat helmet, well at least you still have it and it's a great conversation piece and looks good as it is

Phill

P.S The decal placement is way off the mark

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    P.S The decal placement is way off the mark
    lol, yes... I know... the decal looks stupid.

You'd have to see the helmet in person... I've more or less accepted the fact that the gray/green and decals are fake, but there's something about this lid... idk what's going on with it... A little bit of me thinks that it was a real reissue, and some dummy 70ish years ago put decals on the wrong way.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    lol, yes... I know... the decal looks stupid.

You'd have to see the helmet in person... I've more or less accepted the fact that the gray/green and decals are fake, but there's something about this lid... idk what's going on with it... A little bit of me thinks that it was a real reissue, and some dummy 70ish years ago put decals on the wrong way.
    Not so much the wrong way but the overall placement, they should sit below the air vents not behind and the ones ive seen actually go over the bead to some extent.

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Not so much the wrong way but the overall placement, they should sit below the air vents not behind and the ones ive seen actually go over the bead to some extent.
    Yeah, I know... strange isn't it? Maybe one day I'll get an expert to inspect this helmet in-hand. Then we can put the whole issue to rest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast