Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

How To Best Clean and Preserve My New HJ Knife?

Article about: Hi, all. I just recently purchased the HJ knife pictured below and wanted a couple pointers on how best to clean (if I even do that) and protect it. The knife is not all that dirty, but I wa

Question How To Best Clean and Preserve My New HJ Knife?

Hi, all. I just recently purchased the HJ knife pictured below and wanted a couple pointers on how best to clean (if I even do that) and protect it. The knife is not all that dirty, but I wanted to know what I could safely do were I to want to "freshen" or "clean it up" a bit and also preserve it while causing no damage.
    I have read through this forum and believe the the best course might be to lighty clean the blade with warm soap and water and using a very soft toothbrush...then, of course, dry very thoroughly. I was then going to apply a very small amount of RenWax to the blade to shine it a little and give it a preservative coating. Am I correct in thinking that the renwax might apply better to a surface that is cleaner rather than dirtier?
    Any thoughts on this or how I might touch up the handle? I am assuming I can also use the renwax on this part of the knife. I am also planning on trying to restore the leather washer/buffer. I've already gotten some advice on this, but if anyone else has thoughts that's great.

It's my first HJ knife and I'm a bit of an obsessive-compulsive so I'd like to do or not do what I can to put it at it's best. Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How To Best Clean and Preserve My New HJ Knife?   How To Best Clean and Preserve My New HJ Knife?  

How To Best Clean and Preserve My New HJ Knife?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How To Best Clean and Preserve My New HJ Knife?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How To Best Clean and Preserve My New HJ Knife?

Renwax will be fine for the whole knife, all parts. I would clean off any dirt as suggested and then wax. That is all you need to do.

Cheers, Ade.

Adam,
    Good question. I have wondered myself what is the best way of keeping my knife clean.

Ade,
    Where would one buy Renwax from?

Regards to all, Simon.

Hi Simon, I got mine direct from the manufacturers here in the UK:

www.Picreator.co.uk | Materials for Professional Restoration and Conservation

It is not cheap, I bought mine about 2 years ago and it was about £11 then. But a little goes a long long way. Still got half a tin left.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade and Richie,
    Thanks for your prompt reply and advice
    Regards to all, Simon.

Ren wax bought,
    Thanks for the help
    Regards to all, Simon.