Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

How best to store items

Article about: Hi, I have recently been getting further into collecting and am trying to learn the ropes as far as proper storage and long term care of items goes. For starters, I currently have a collecti

?

Default How best to store items

Hi,

I have recently been getting further into collecting and am trying to learn the ropes as far as proper storage and long term care of items goes. For starters, I currently have a collection of German medals, bayonets, hats and field gear. Should cardboard boxes be avoided? If so, what is recommended for the items that just get stored away and aren't on display? For my hats I have purchased both buffered and unbuffered acid free tissue paper to wrap them up in. Is this a good practice? Whenever I get a new dagger or bayonet, I have been cleaning them up, oiling them, and then wrapping them in wax paper. Does anyone have suggestions for storing edged weapons? Is it good to keep bayonet and sheath seperate? As far as medals, tinnies, coins etc. go, are there certain types of metals that should be kept seperately to avoid corrosion? I really am proud of and value my collection thus far and have been having a heck of a time finding definitive sources on how best to store these various items. I would really appreciate any suggestions or tricks anyone has.
    Thanks!

Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How best to store items
    P
    Many

Default Re: How best to store items

Hi Nick, you raise a number of important points here.

Looking after a collection correctly is very important, as after all, we are merely temporary custodians of these historical items.

First off, I would be a bit concerned about the use of cardboard boxes, unless they were archival quality and acid free. Same with the use of any tissue paper. Here is a UK based website which sells museum quality storage solutions:

Conservation By Design Limited - The Timecare Collection

I would certainly advise against using oil on blades. This can cause lifting to any plating. Once you have cleaned an item use a museum grade wax, such as "Renwax", which can be bought from various places plus from the link above. Storage of blades is something collectors disagree about. Keeping them in a scabbard will protect it from knocks or scratches. But out of it does prevent any moisture from being created inside the scabbard due to temp changes which could affect the blade. Also taking it in and out a lot will create extra runner marks on the blade, but you would need to do this a lot to make it a big problem.

I would certainly not store badges/medals touching one another. Zinc badges if they have any "zinc pest" on them has been known to cross infect according to some people.

Light of course is a big problem. Don't allow caps uniforms etc to be in direct sunlight.

Hope that has given you a few pointers?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks to both of you for the pointers and info. I'll have to work on getting some renwax. After edged weapons have been cleaned and waxed, is it best to wrap them at all? As for the tissue paper I use, I have both buffered and unbuffered. It was explained to me that certain materials/fabrics require one or the other. I have been storing my wool items in unbuffered paper and for the time being have my flags in buffered paper as they are mostly cotton based. Speaking of flags, I read that it is best to keep them either fully flat or if that isn't possible, then rolled. I would like to keep them rolled as I don't have the space to keep them flat. Would those map/banner tubes listed on that site be best for that? Or what about the banner bags they offer on the site? I am just curious to see what you guys do and if you have any experience with flags. Also, as far as plastic bags and plastic containers go, should they be avoided for storing items? Can certain types of plastic boxes cause damage to cloth or paper items? I currently keep alot of my stuff in larger plastic containers for storage and wanted to know if I should avoid this. One last question I wanted to ask is if there is a US based website offering similar quality preservation items to the UK based company you provided me with above? I only ask because I am in the US.
    Thanks again for all your help!

Nick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RENAISSANCE
    Microcrystalline WAX POLISH
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For over forty years, RENAISSANCE WAX-POLISH has been the #1 choice of museums, art galleries and institutions for the preservation of precious items. Professional conservators, retailers, restorers and private individuals throughout the world depend on RENAISSANCE WAX to protect their collections and for in home use.

Polishes and Protects:
    Guard your precious pieces against the damaging effects of humidity, heat, dust, environmental destruction, aging and ordinary wear.
    RENAISSANCE WAX provides a barrier against fingerprints and the devastation of water, wine, alcohol and other spills. With its high moisture resistance, it forms a durable, lustrous protective coating. Prevents tarnish, corrosion and "bloom;" remains completely waterproof; retards weathering on exteriors and objects exposed to climatic abrasion.

A Little Goes A Long Way --
    And Lasts A Long Time Excellent spread and indefinite shelf life make RENAISSANCE WAX economical and convenient, even for very large objects and infrequent use. A small dab goes a long way, unlike most waxes that need generous application. Use a minimal amount of RENAISSANCE WAX, rub lightly, and buff if a gloss is desired. The long-lasting preservation reduces the need for frequent maintenance. Airtight container keeps wax in perfect condition; always spreadable, no caking or drying out; indefinite shelf life; no "polish smell;" no added fragrance to endanger substrate material.

Cleans Beautifully:
    Lift oil, dirt and the murky accretions of other polishes. The surface detail remains crystal clear through unlimited applications of this translucent wax; removes previous wax build-up; reveals fine detail & wood grain; non-staining, non-abrasive.

Restores and Enhances:
    Revitalize and return your objects to pristine condition. RENAISSANCE WAX buffs easily to a hard, transparent finish that will not discolor; Renews fading colors and "tired finishes;" retains matte finish when unpolished; buffs to a high gloss; reduces shine of new picture varnish.

For Use On:
    Furniture, Antique & New Sculpture, Porcelain, Pottery & Ceramics; Cutlery Knives, Swords, Armor; Jewelry, Carvings, Antiquities, Bibelots, Hardware, Wood Interiors, Fine Books, Clocks, Paintings, Oils, Acrylics, Gouaches, Tempera, Alkyds, Pastels, Oil Sticks, Martins Dyes, India Inks, Photographic Prints, Carvings, Engraving, Scrimshaw, Architectural Ornaments, PLUS; Automobiles, Boats and Yachts, Decoys, Golf Clubs, Firearms, Frames, Kitchen Cabinets, Counters, Appliances, and much more!

SAFE to protect all these Materials:
    Wood; raw & finished. Leather, Parchment & Paper. Metal; Silver, Silverplate, Gold, Copper & Copper Alloys (Bronze, Brass, Tin, Zinc, German Silver, Nickel), Lead & Pewter, Iron & Iron Alloys, Tin & Tin Alloys. Damascus; Stone, Marble, Onyx, Limestone, Granite, Brick, Tile, Terrazzo, Obsidian, Alabaster; Gems, Glass, Porcelain, Holloware, Bone, Ivory, Horn, Shell & Mother-of-Pearl, Gutta Percha, Dammars; Gilding & Gold Leaf, Patinas. Enamel, Lacquer, Japanning, Cloute, Pose d'Or, Pique Point, Varnish, Marbleizing, Stains & Artificial Graining. Plastics, Formicas, Paints, Polyvinyl Acetates, Esters of Polymethyacrylic, Polycyclohexanones, Fiberglas Epoxy Resins, and much more!

How, RENAISSANCE Wax,
    the "Perfect Wax" was created:
    Prior to 1950, the only polishes available were based on beeswax and carnuba wax. Unfortunately, these natural, saponifiable products could cause damage when acids arose spontaneously through oxidation or hydrolysis. To solve the problem, a consortium of international conservationists directed a scientist from the British Museum to conduct research and find the "perfect wax." When he could not find any that met their exacting standards, he created a new wax in his laboratory. The revolutionary formula he invented is a semi-synthetic microcrystalline fossil-origin wax entirely free of, damaging acids.
    It remains chemically neutral and is therefore completely safe, even on vulnerable surfaces.
    The British Museum approved manufacture for its own use and for distribution to the public. That "perfect wax" is now available internationally under the name RENAISSANCE WAX.

Who Uses RENAISSANCE Wax-Polish:
    UK: British Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum. Royal Armories (Tower of London , London & Leeds, National Army Museum, Imperial War Museum, the Wallace Collection, H.M. the Queen's Royal Armorer (at Marlborough House), the Guards Museum (Wellington Barracks), the Gurkha Museum (Winchester), the Military Museums at Aldershot, Royal Green Jackets Regimental Museum, the Gunsmith at Chatham Historic Dockyard (Kent), the Johnny Armstrong Gallery, and Museum of Border Arms & Armor (Scotland), National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. Belgium: Musee Royal de l'Armee et d'Histoire Militaire-Brussels. USA: Gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg, the Smithsonian, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Academy of Art-Honolulu, Texarcana College-Bladesmithing & Metallurgy, Rockfeller Restorations, and many many more institutions around the world.

?

Thanks for the thread, i learned alot! Will have to get my collection out of my cardboard box, did not know it contained acid!

?

Great advice ! Thanks for all your time !