Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword

Article about: Right Cellulose on metal, plated or base no problem. Be careful on thermo plastics, printed (decals) and some painted surfaces. Items such as the scabbard could be soaked to remove the stain

?

Default How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword

Hi Everyone,
    I've been offered this German Army Officer's Sword - 300 euro. I would take it, but the scabbard, sword guard, & portepee have tobacco stain. The portepee perhaps I can have dry cleaned, but how do I remove the stains from the metal parts or should I save my money. Any help appreciated.
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword   How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword

Hi Alec , i would look for another example as this dagger has been messed with . It has a 2nd luft grip attached , ( unless you want to find a heer grip and make up a "parts" dagger , the portepee has been attached wrongly but that is not a problem and neither would be the smoke stain . the blade and scabbard look in good condition .

cheers Al

?

Hello Al,
    Thanks for your posting & info regarding the grip.I noticed on my pictures the grip has two colours (don't know why) the darker colour is the correct one. I'll think about what to do. You say removing the tobacco stains presents no great problem, how would I go about removing it ? I may try to find a Army Grip, at the moment I've no swords in my collection, I'm anxious to start.
    Best Wishes

?

Hi Alec , all dagger grips darken with time if they are hung on walls or display cabinets and you will notice that the side that has had more cover will always be a lighter tone . As far as the smoke patination is concerned i personally would just leave it as it is , call it part of it`s beauty ! As soon as you start cleaning and polishing it up you start to devalue it . The main thing is that the blade looks to be in good condition , which it looks to be . It appears to be an unmarked blade , which is not a problem .

cheers Al

?

Hi Al,
    Thanks for all the good advice. I post a picture of the makers mark - W.K.C. - Weyersberg Kirschbaum Cie. How did you determine, that the grip - Luftwaffe 2nd model is and not army. Spent the last hour looking through dagger sites still can't see a difference.
    Best Wishes
    Attached Images Attached Images How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword 

?

Hi Alec , i can tell by it`s shape and profile that it is a 2nd luft grip , also heer grips do not have a wire wrapping ,

cheers Al

?

Ok AL,
    I'll spend the next hour trawling through the military sites, training my eyes on the different grip profiles.
    Cheers

?

A good solvent such as cellulose "Standard thinners" is very good for removing nicotine stains, as this is basically tar at the end of the day, however I would not try this on the grips if there made of celluloid or something similar as this would melt the plastic surface and etch it.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Hi Nige,

I've also been offered this German Fire Brigade Medal in Bronze - trouble is, as you can see, the front is also covered in tobacco stains, its actually from the same cache as the sword. Could I use the cellulose "Standard Thinner" on an enamel surface or must I seek another cleaning agent. How good a result can I expect ? poor, moderately good, good, is tobacco smoke so hard to remove ? other examples of this medal show the enamel is pearly white, mine is a long way short.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to Remove Tobacco Stains - Sword  

?

That is not a problem to remove the smoke traces from the metal, you can just wash it with warm water and using washing powder, or leave it for approx 20 min, then repeat process with new watter and powder. Then just take a powder and stir it to the cross, when it's wet. The stainings must gone. Dry it carefully. And that's it. The same about the dagger's parts. Don't forget to dry the scabbard in the warm place, due of the wet inside the scabbard will damage all the blade and other parts too.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast