Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lacquer?

Article about: Hello all, I've just received a very nice 2" mortar body dated 1942, (thanks John), in excellent condition. It has most original lacquer but I would like to touch up a couple of small p

Default Lacquer?

Hello all,
    I've just received a very nice 2" mortar body dated 1942, (thanks John), in excellent condition. It has most original lacquer but I would like to touch up a couple of small patches on one side. I'm sure there was a thread here recently with a recipe for renovating lacquer, but as usual I can't find it. I don't want to remove any original finish, just to clean up these little patches. Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread?
    Attached pics show the round, to which I have added a more recent fuze and propellant cartridge until I can find a correctly dated one.
    Any advise welcome, would also be interested to identify the fuze markings if anyone can help? Fuze and cover stamped; 161 MK2/3 AEM.
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lacquer?   Lacquer?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lacquer?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Lacquer?

Hi,nice mortar round,what markings are on your tail fins and propelling cartridge,here is mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lacquer?  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hello Pete,
    Good to hear from you again.
    The fin marking on this one is ; Large 'Z', and tiny, (need a magnifying glass to read), 13 FD Ltd 1941-1.
    The propellant cartridge is from another round. It's the usual Eley Kynoch 28 bore. Difficult to read the printing on the cardboard part but looks like; 2 in MORTAR, over; SMOKELESS, over; 50(?) GR BA(L?), B. over; MK 1/(?) IMI.
    I think this cartridge came from a 2" mortar para illumination flare? Could that be 50 grains of ballistite? I havn't a clue!
    I'd be glad of any help here?
    Very best regards,
    Guy.

?

Hi,yes it is Ballistite,here is a pic of one,not mine,mine only has the brass base remaining and is marked,Dominion No. 28 made in Canada..canuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lacquer? 
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi Guy, it is a really nice example. I would honestly leave it alone. Touching it up will just devalue it in my opinion.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guy, it is a really nice example. I would honestly leave it alone. Touching it up will just devalue it in my opinion.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade,
    Advice taken, the best side is fortunately on the same side as the body stampings so it's good for display.
    Have you any idea of maker, fin is marked; Z 13 FD Ltd 1941-1.
    The fuze, (which I've added), is stamped; AEM 60 AA 161 Mk 3/2?
    Cheers,
    Guy.

?

The casing looks as if this has been paint with Shellac due to the brown hue, or it could be Button polish, which was developed from french polish just before WW1 for varnishing buttons funny enough as to resorting the item as Ade has stated I'd would leave well alone, the condition is fantastic and it does not warrant any work at all as it a very nice piece in a very original state.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Hello Nige,
    Thanks for the info. I've taken Ade's advice and am not going to do anything to the finish. Luckily the best side is where the markings are so it looks very good on display.
    Very best regards,
    Guy.

Hello Pete,
    I used to use Canadian Dominion ammo in my WW2 Webley Mk IV before the pistol ban. It worked very well, even got me a silver at Bisley back in 1978.
    Are you still model making?
    Cheers,
    Guy.

?

Quote by navyman View Post
    Hello Pete,
    I used to use Canadian Dominion ammo in my WW2 Webley Mk IV before the pistol ban. It worked very well, even got me a silver at Bisley back in 1978.
    Are you still model making?
    Cheers,
    Guy.
    Hi Guy,This is the only thing I have made recently.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast