Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.

Article about: Hey Guys! Well I have decided after a long break to do another restoration project and I want to do another German lid. I am hoping to do a pre/early war M35 possbily Heer maybe SS with doub

?

Default Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.

Hey Guys!

Well I have decided after a long break to do another restoration project and I want to do another German lid. I am hoping to do a pre/early war M35 possbily Heer maybe SS with double decals, Reinforced liner band etc, But I just cant find a decent M35 shell anywhere! In the UK anyway, I am very reluctant to buy from abroad generally. So I am putting this thread out to appeal to any members who can maybe point me in the right direction or even may have one themselves that they are willing to sell, Trade, PX maybe! I need the shell in as good condition as possible, I never restore relics or damaged shells. I will pay the right price or as said will possibly trade/exchange. Failing that any shells M40,42's worthy of restoration I will consider. All help appreciated chaps! Cheers! Sean.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.
    P
    Many

?

I have a model 35 that has been completely stripped down to bare metal. No liner or split pins just the shell if you are interested. I will have to dig it out and take pictures.

?

Hi Steve! That sounds perfect but are you US based? I am just a little unsure about receiving stuff from the US because on average when I have bought helmets etc before I get hit with on average £40 tax charges. But I mean you have a M35 shell and its stripped which is a big bonus because as I do usually strip the shells myself, I hate doing it lol. Just a very messy process. So if you dont mind posting pictures I will definitely consider it! Cheers! Sean.

?

OK

?

Hey All! Just a quick update to this thread... Well after another long while of searching for an M35 shell without any luck I conceded I might just have to look abroad and well.. Almost immediately I found a fantastic condition ET66 M35 perfect for restoration located in the Czech Republic. So I negotiated on the price a bit as it was at the maximum of my budget and the guy who I purchased it from, Vit, Was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful so he agreed to include P&P for the total price and I finally secured the long wanted M35 shell. The delivery took not even a week and big bonus... No tax! The shell was even stripped of its paint and cleaned, No dents, No pitting and clear stamps visible. I could not ask for a better shell. So here it is as arrived and with its first coat of paint. I will have to wait a few weeks now to finish the helmet as I need a new can of paint, Decals and liner pins and I am absolutely skint lol. So I will update this as I get the needed bits and get it finished. Cheers! Sean.

Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.

?

Smile

Quote by seandm View Post
    Hey All! Just a quick update to this thread... Well after another long while of searching for an M35 shell without any luck I conceded I might just have to look abroad and well.. Almost immediately I found a fantastic condition ET66 M35 perfect for restoration located in the Czech Republic. So I negotiated on the price a bit as it was at the maximum of my budget and the guy who I purchased it from, Vit, Was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful so he agreed to include P&P for the total price and I finally secured the long wanted M35 shell. The delivery took not even a week and big bonus... No tax! The shell was even stripped of its paint and cleaned, No dents, No pitting and clear stamps visible. I could not ask for a better shell. So here it is as arrived and with its first coat of paint. I will have to wait a few weeks now to finish the helmet as I need a new can of paint, Decals and liner pins and I am absolutely skint lol. So I will update this as I get the needed bits and get it finished. Cheers! Sean.

Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.Looking for a new German helmet restoration project.
    Hi Sean,

The helmet looks great, color looks superb. I too have had good dealings with Vit, have purchased several of his helmet shells...always as described. Look forward to seeing the helmet assembled, well done.

Ian

?

Hey Ian! Thank you for the kind words! I am indeed very happy having done business with him, Certainly wouldn't hesitate to do so again either! I was very impressed with him and his shells, As you say exactly as described and I have been after this sort of condition M35 for what feels like an age! After getting the first coat of paint on the shell I was so excited lol, It just looks completely perfect not a single flaw to it. I should have it finished around this time next week. I have arranged for the parts to finish it including an accurate reproduction ET dome stamp I am really looking forward to applying for that extra touch! The only thing is, Like an idiot I bent the liner band and looks like I might have to buy a new one and they are not cheap with the reinforced band. But I want to be absolutely happy with it when its done as it will be a keeper as far as I am concerned. I have also started on a immaculate ET66 M40 as well that I am restoring as a textured single decal heer helmet so hopefully bouncing back and forth working on both next week can get them pictured and posted to you guy's! Cheers, Sean.

?

Hey Sean,

I've had bent liner bands in the past and they are fixable, the aluminium ones are a little tricky but can be done. Often the originals are bent as well so wouldn't worry too much. I've used needle pliers covered in masking tape to guard against gouging and a little patience. Can you submit a photo of it?

Ian

?

Hey Ian! I managed to bend the band back into shape, Like you said with a little patience. I was worried about damaging the integrity of band itself any further by bending it so it was done very slowly and looks fine again now, Cheers for the advice! Although I have to admit I have already ordered a new liner band. I was ordering another group lot of stuff anyway and another liner plus other parts and I want to be 100% happy with these helmets when they are done so I just decided, Fudge it and ordered another. I am selling various items etc at the minute so I am hoping they sell so I can justify the purchase lol.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    Hey Ian! I managed to bend the band back into shape, Like you said with a little patience. I was worried about damaging the integrity of band itself any further by bending it so it was done very slowly and looks fine again now, Cheers for the advice! Although I have to admit I have already ordered a new liner band. I was ordering another group lot of stuff anyway and another liner plus other parts and I want to be 100% happy with these helmets when they are done so I just decided, Fudge it and ordered another. I am selling various items etc at the minute so I am hoping they sell so I can justify the purchase lol.
    Hi Sean,

Good to hear you were able to fix the problem. I can understand wanting to do it 100%, we're spoiled for choice these days and some of the gear coming out of Czech Rep is superb.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast