Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

Article about: Hello to everyone. Since I can't contribute much to the forum in terms of authenticating relics, I have decided to add my restoration process of a M-33 Italian helmet that was given to me by

Default M-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

Hello to everyone. Since I can't contribute much to the forum in terms of authenticating relics, I have decided to add my restoration process of a M-33 Italian helmet that was given to me by a neighbor over a decade ago. The helmet was used to feed goats. I think it had a crack on its dome and that was why it was welded (although I don't remember the process). I had actually put some metal filler on it in the past and then just forgot about it. I used electrolysis for rust removal.

M-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

You can see the rust that is being removed by the process. I kept it going for a few days, since the process was slow and the sacrificial metal rods were not large enough.

M-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

The helmet after removing the rust and after it was primed.

M-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

I was not happy with the old filler that was in place and did not come out with electrolysis. I was told that the filler absorbs water and hence could promote rust after the helmet was painted. Hence I went ahead and chipped it away with the metal nail. I then primed it so that it doesn't rust.

M-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

I then used a dremmel in order to remove as much of the welding as possible so that it became smoother. Once done, I primed it again to prevent rust.

The helmet after it had been filled with a metal filler then sanded and the primed a final time.

M-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

I used Fosco green spray paint and this is what it looks like after the first coat.

M-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

The helmet after being coated a few times in order to look more uniform without any patches where the primer can be seen.

M-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet RestorationM-33 Italian Helmet Restoration

I also used an infantry decal which I purchased from the war hats website.

I had read on a website that the green color can be darkened in order to resemble the color the Italians used, by using black shoe polish. I tried it on the inside of the helmet but it didn't turn out as I wanted and hecnce I left it as is. If anyone knows the color used by them, I could give it a try and buy a matt spray version of it and try it. I don't think I would be able to get a liner for it, since you can't find any reproduction ones in the market and also the original pins can't be removed like on a German one.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any questions please let me know and I will answer them.

Kind regards,

Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-33 Italian Helmet Restoration
    P
    Many

Wow !! Lots of work but it came out really nice. The shade of green looks like it needs more gray to it to match original Italian color.
    But very good job !
    D.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Wow !! Lots of work but it came out really nice. The shade of green looks like it needs more gray to it to match original Italian color.
    But very good job !
    D.
    Thank you David. I know that many people are not keen on restorations, but I think this was worth it. It's a piece of history that must not be destroyed. Yes, unfortunately Fosco has a very limited amount of colours available and I couldn't find a Ral code online to match it. I don't think that the colors available for German helmets, produced by Fosco, would match it. That is unless of course I decided to paint it as a desert camo which as far as I know that Germans and Italians used the same shade of color. Thanks for the comment once again.

Thomas

Just for conversation...the Germans used any tan shades they could get hold of. Some believe the "pinkish tan" was actually captured British paint, a theory I don't believe in. But we see tropical tan camo helmets of many different shades & tints. The tan we see on German helmets from the "Italian theatre" have some brown mixed with the tan, giving them a darker, different look. Not sure if there is a "textbook" Italian tan or not. I think anything in that color would work
    D.