Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M16 Restoration Project

Article about: German M16, ET64 in good condition with a couple of cracks and the odd ding, well worth some love and attention after spending it's post war life in the care of bikers by the looks. Purchase

?

As an update the helmet is now almost clean. By the time it is would have been in vinegar nearly a month. The vat is now almost black and it has done a great job in cleaning the shell. Check out what the vat looks like now, helmet is submerged under that evil looking sludge. Not a process for the impatient yet it has worked, I can recommend this over using a dangerous higher strength acid. After it has been cleaned to satisfaction I'll then be giving the shell a gun browning treatment using Birchwood Casey Plum Brown prior to filling and sanding the defects. Will post more pics of the shell once fully stripped.

M16 Restoration Project
    M16 Restoration Project

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Restoration Project
    P
    Many

Doing good cant wait to see it when it is finished (but I am one of the inpatient ones)
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

?

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Doing good cant wait to see it when it is finished (but I am one of the inpatient ones)
    Cheers Matt,
    Patience isn't my strong point either, it's been agonizing really but I've seen steady progress otherwise I might have given up with this approach. Should only be a few days now.

regards,
    Ian

OK Ian, I think it will looks as good as the day it was made when you have done
    Best Regards Matt

ian is the vineger duluted or used neat

?

Quote by James C View Post
    ian is the vineger duluted or used neat
    Hi James C,

It's neat, vinegar is apparently around 8% acetic acid so figured diluting it wouldn't help any. It took 10-12 liters to cover the helmet on a tilt in that pot. The girlfriend has instructed me to dispose of it afterwards, probably very sensible....a plastic container would have been better. She wants a stainless steel stock pot for her birthday to replace the dreaded aluminum, off to the scrap metal merchants with it now.

Ian

Hows the Restoration going?
    Best Regards Matt

?

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Hows the Restoration going?
    Helmet has been in the evil vat of vinegar (which is now black) now for a month and is almost clean. It has been somewhat frustrating to have taken this long but the end is in sight. The rim of the helmet proved to be the most stubborn for some reason, everything else fell off in no time. Will post pics hopefully within the next week and we're in business.

?

Yay, at long last here's what the helmet looks like after having the last of the annoying plate removed with my dremel and repeated coats of browning agent applied (scroll down). Focused on the rim as the idea is to knock paint off here and there to give it some character. Next will be carefully filling and sanding the cracks. Could actually leave it as is in relic condition but I have a vision. Enjoy!

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

?

Helmet has now been repaired using a multipurpose two part polymer which sets rock hard in about an hour. Carefully taped off prior to sanding to preserve as much of the lovely brown patina as possible. Then masked off and a good thick layer of sanding primer added which should once sanded hide most of the blemishes.

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast