Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M16 Restoration Project

Article about: German M16, ET64 in good condition with a couple of cracks and the odd ding, well worth some love and attention after spending it's post war life in the care of bikers by the looks. Purchase

?

Helmet after having been sanded. Looks extremely ugly. Now looks as though it's been fixed by a redneck using black electrical tape, didn't bother to feather into the surrounding areas. Will do that after the first cote of paint. I have some left over apple green enamel I purchased for an M35 project that I'll use as an undercoat, have Humbrol 111 which supposedly is a good match for RAL 7009 enamel that I may darken a little for the final coat. May alternate these colors a little to give an aged mottled finish.

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Restoration Project
    P
    Many

Looking good NZEF2!

I'm interested in seeing how it all turns out

?

Quote by Danishkaiser View Post
    Looking good NZEF2!

I'm interested in seeing how it all turns out
    Thanks Danishkaiser, I decided to feather the edges of the repaired areas and then rough up using a wire brush by tapping vertically to hopefully match the surrounding areas. Might shorten the sanding process between cotes. Will be giving the helmet its first cote of paint this weekend.

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Restoration Project  

Interesting thread to follow, thanks for updating pics along the way

?

Quote by lazer4856 View Post
    Interesting thread to follow, thanks for updating pics along the way
    Thanks for your interest. It is with great pleasure that I can finally now present the helmet with some actual paint on it....six weeks after I received it! Theses shots show it after two coats to the outside sanded after each, this is the apple green. I'm not looking to remove every blemish having a flawlessly smooth and worked piece of perfection. Helmets tend to show every ripple and impurity in the steel so I've allowed a lot of this to show through. Will be used later on in the aging process.

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

?

Here is the helmet with the Humbrol 111 applied. I was going to use the two old tins I had until I discovered the current released color is in a matt finish so opted for that instead. It is a very close match to RAL 7009 although my pics may not reflect that, looks grey. The interior still needs painting but I am confident both the crown and skirt markings will be perfectly visible. The link shows the correct color and is closer monitors forgiving to actual hue. Is more greenish than photographed.

RAL FARBTON KARTE -- RAL 7009

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

Looks great! You did a good job, it'll display very nicely! I recently picked up a m16

Lot of work looking nice I once did a M-16 using some bondo to fill in the small holes painted it with some of Great War Militaria Paint and it came out fine. Nice to put it back the way you have. Looking forward to end result. timothy

?

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how it's looking. Took another shot which shows the colors a little better. I was considering doing a camo if not satisfied but this is really pleasing as is. Yes a little filler can do wonders.

M16 Restoration Project

I would leave it as is it looks good, camos are hard to do I find and I'm never satisfied with them and I always have to redo it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast